CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Any current information on (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/394608-any-current-information.html)

PEB February 11th, 2013 04:31 PM

Any current information on

Ok I know I have not posted here in a long time, life seems to get in the way sometimes. I am currently getting back into cruising and have booked some Alaska cruises for the summer of 2013 on two different Holland America ships. One ship is the Statendam and the other is the Westerdam. I know they were both dry docked not to long ago, however I am not finding a lot of any other information on the ships.

If anyone has any information on these two ships within the past year it would be greatly appreciated.

Alaska information I am not worried about I have been there 11 times as well as worked there for Princess one summer. I have cruised many times on many different lines as well as worked on cruise ships, however this will be my first time on Holland America.

sail7seas February 16th, 2013 04:51 PM

We sailed Westerdam two weeks over Thanksgiving and she is in wonderful condition. We had no problems with the usual sort of complaints and think the ship looks just fine.

Paul Motter July 11th, 2013 04:23 PM

The Statendam is HALs oldest ship, and one of its smallest. Expect it to be fairly quiet, especially at night.

The Westerdam is one of the Vista-class ships which has much more onboard in terms of activities. I am sure you will find it more lively and fun.

If you like small & quiet ships then the Statendam will appeal to you. Both have movie theaters, but the Statendams is nicer and less crowded.

The Westerdam will have the Explorer's cafe, Chef's dinner and other upgraded amenities.

luv2cruzz July 12th, 2013 06:08 PM

I took the Westerdam to Alaska and I loved it. The ship was beautiful, the staff ever present and pleasant. I would recommend that one to anyone!

sail7seas July 15th, 2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1478736)
The Statendam is HALs oldest ship, and one of its smallest. Expect it to be fairly quiet, especially at night.

The Westerdam is one of the Vista-class ships which has much more onboard in terms of activities. I am sure you will find it more lively and fun.

If you like small & quiet ships then the Statendam will appeal to you. Both have movie theaters, but the Statendams is nicer and less crowded.

The Westerdam will have the Explorer's cafe, Chef's dinner and other upgraded amenities.

All HAL ships have Explorer's Lounge as well as Exploration Cafe.
The Exploration Cafe is a coffee bar/ library / computer center.
Explorer's Lounge is a comfortable lounge where drinks are served though there is no bar, per se. Every evening after dinner, a trio plays classical music. Lovely.

Prinsendam is actually HAL's oldest ship though they did not build her and she has not been in the fleet as long as Statendam. Royal Viking build her as Royal Viking Sun. She then became Seabourn Sun and ultimately HAL's Prinsendam.

suse July 26th, 2013 09:32 PM

I love the Westerdam and have sailed with her on a couple of occasions.
Delighted with the Vista class and we'll be with the Maasdam next. :)

sail7seas July 30th, 2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas (Post 1479163)
All HAL ships have Explorer's Lounge as well as Exploration Cafe.
The Exploration Cafe is a coffee bar/ library / computer center.
Explorer's Lounge is a comfortable lounge where drinks are served though there is no bar, per se. Every evening after dinner, a trio plays classical music. Lovely.

Prinsendam is actually HAL's oldest ship though they did not build her and she has not been in the fleet as long as Statendam. Royal Viking build her as Royal Viking Sun. She then became Seabourn Sun and ultimately HAL's Prinsendam.

I just reread this post and realize I didn't mention that the Signature Class ships, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, have a bar in the Explorer's Lounge. The bars there actually are nice and seem underused. If you're on a Signature Class ship, check it out.

None of the Explorer's Lounges on any of the other HAL ships have an actual bar but are cocktail table seating only.