Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Captain

Talking Any current information on

Ok I know I have not posted here in a long time, life seems to get in the way sometimes. I am currently getting back into cruising and have booked some Alaska cruises for the summer of 2013 on two different Holland America ships. One ship is the Statendam and the other is the Westerdam. I know they were both dry docked not to long ago, however I am not finding a lot of any other information on the ships.

If anyone has any information on these two ships within the past year it would be greatly appreciated.

Alaska information I am not worried about I have been there 11 times as well as worked there for Princess one summer. I have cruised many times on many different lines as well as worked on cruise ships, however this will be my first time on Holland America.
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Captain

We sailed Westerdam two weeks over Thanksgiving and she is in wonderful condition. We had no problems with the usual sort of complaints and think the ship looks just fine.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Statendam is HALs oldest ship, and one of its smallest. Expect it to be fairly quiet, especially at night.

The Westerdam is one of the Vista-class ships which has much more onboard in terms of activities. I am sure you will find it more lively and fun.

If you like small & quiet ships then the Statendam will appeal to you. Both have movie theaters, but the Statendams is nicer and less crowded.

The Westerdam will have the Explorer's cafe, Chef's dinner and other upgraded amenities.
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I took the Westerdam to Alaska and I loved it. The ship was beautiful, the staff ever present and pleasant. I would recommend that one to anyone!
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
The Statendam is HALs oldest ship, and one of its smallest. Expect it to be fairly quiet, especially at night.

The Westerdam is one of the Vista-class ships which has much more onboard in terms of activities. I am sure you will find it more lively and fun.

If you like small & quiet ships then the Statendam will appeal to you. Both have movie theaters, but the Statendams is nicer and less crowded.

The Westerdam will have the Explorer's cafe, Chef's dinner and other upgraded amenities.

All HAL ships have Explorer's Lounge as well as Exploration Cafe.
The Exploration Cafe is a coffee bar/ library / computer center.
Explorer's Lounge is a comfortable lounge where drinks are served though there is no bar, per se. Every evening after dinner, a trio plays classical music. Lovely.

Prinsendam is actually HAL's oldest ship though they did not build her and she has not been in the fleet as long as Statendam. Royal Viking build her as Royal Viking Sun. She then became Seabourn Sun and ultimately HAL's Prinsendam.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love the Westerdam and have sailed with her on a couple of occasions.
Delighted with the Vista class and we'll be with the Maasdam next.
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
All HAL ships have Explorer's Lounge as well as Exploration Cafe.
The Exploration Cafe is a coffee bar/ library / computer center.
Explorer's Lounge is a comfortable lounge where drinks are served though there is no bar, per se. Every evening after dinner, a trio plays classical music. Lovely.

Prinsendam is actually HAL's oldest ship though they did not build her and she has not been in the fleet as long as Statendam. Royal Viking build her as Royal Viking Sun. She then became Seabourn Sun and ultimately HAL's Prinsendam.

I just reread this post and realize I didn't mention that the Signature Class ships, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, have a bar in the Explorer's Lounge. The bars there actually are nice and seem underused. If you're on a Signature Class ship, check it out.

None of the Explorer's Lounges on any of the other HAL ships have an actual bar but are cocktail table seating only.