Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Angry Holland America cancels entire cruise for a charter

We were booked on the Holland America Volendam for round trip Kobe to Kobe Japan, March 31 through April 14. Today we received an announcement that the entire cruise was canceled because Holland America decided to sell (give?) the cruise to a charter. This after we had already made airline reservations, hotel reservations before and after the cruise.
We have never experienced anything like this before and are wondering as we signed a contract in good faith, with a deposit, doesn't Holland America owe us some recompense? in fact a fairly major recompense? We are also wondering how many people had booked that cruise that are now in the same snafu we are in? Have other people experienced similar situations?
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Captain

Very sorry for your disappointment but unfortunately this happens from time to time and most cruise lines do it.

You may be able to recover cancellation/change fees but for the most part, cruise lines do not 'compensate' seeing the charter is announced so far in advance. Often they will offer a different sailing and perhaps a decent price on it.

Hopefully, you will find another cruise that works well for you.
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Did they offer any compensation other than a refund of your cruise fare?

If your airline tickets are non-refundable then I would push them for reimbursement.

This isn't that uncommon and HAL is the one that seems to do it the most. Cruise lines make more money from a full ship charter than they can on a standard sailing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Charters happen all the time but usually companies have the decency to do it outside the one year mark so no one has their air. Definitely go after them for air change fees
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to say this would drive me crazy, but we have seen it happen, and will again. Oprah chartered a RCI ship, and, like you, people struggled to try an recoup...Please let us know how things go, after you speak to them about your aifare, hopefully with good news...I hope you can fine an equivilant cruise....sounded great!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator