Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2001, 03:35 PM
Allan

Default Ft. Lauderdale Pre-Cruise

I am looking for advice on pre-cruise accomodations in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I plan to fly in the night before and am looking for advice on where to stay. Also info on which ones provide shuttles from the airport, etc. The last time we booked all thru Celebrity. Even though it was a nice place, we were out in the middle of nowhere. I think I could do it much cheaper on my own. Any advice or experience is very much appreciated.

Allan
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Ft. Lauderdale Pre-Cruise

You may want to try the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. The hotel is shaped like a ship and is right on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. A fifteen min. walk down the strip and you have many fine restaurants and night spots. My favorite rest. on the beach is "Pusser's on th Beach" which offers a Caribbean cuisine. Another is "Oasis" where you can eat outdoor sitting on a glidder swing.

A second choice might be the Mariott Pier 66 which is located on the 17th Street Causway. It overlooks Port Eveglades. You can still get to the restaurants that I mentioned but you will probrably have to take a taxi.

Both of these hotels should have vans from the airport. Good luck and enjoy my neiborhood.

Bob M.
Old May 15th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Passenger

When are you sailing, our family is sailing on the Explorer out of Miami June 30 and we are booked into the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for the two nights before our cruise. We have booked a limo to take us to the port and rented a car to be dropped off in FLL on the return.
Old May 16th, 2001, 11:22 AM
JD

The Yankee Clipper really is not anything special. I have stayed there. Rooms are on the small side, pool area is not great, and some rooms are actually across the street,connected by an overhead passageway. The Marriott Harbor beach next door has an awesome pool area overlooking the beach and is much nicer. As nice as the Marriott is the Lago Mar Resort which is smaller but also has a great pool area and alot of 1 bedroom suites for a good price for this time of year.Has video game room, mini-golf, volleyball,tennis.
Old May 17th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Default Lago Mar vs. Ynakee Clipper

JD
You would recommend the Lago Mar instead of the Clipper. I have found website for the Lago and it does look nice. Do you know what a good rate would be? Is it within walking distance to anything and what is around it?

Thanks for the recommendation
Old May 17th, 2001, 04:55 PM
JD

Default Re: Lago Mar vs. Ynakee Clipper

There is no comparison between the Lago Mar & the Clipper.I have been going to the Lago Mar for at least 15 years now, and have also stayed at the clipper. The Clipper is on the beach, but part of the hotel is across the street, so request to be in the main building . The Clipper is closer walking distance to the Ft. Lauderdale "strip" & more eating places. The clipper has a small pool with no view. Next to the Clipper is the Marriott Harbor Beach which is also beautiful. Next to that, but down about 1/4 mile is the Lago Mar, so it is more secluded. It is also on the intercoastal so you can take the watertaxi up to the strip. Lago Mar has 2 big pools overlooking the ocean. Also an outdoor & indoor restaurant. Outdoor bar area with music on weekends, snack shack for hotdogs, pizza,& stuff like that. The hotel room in the winter high season was $195. & a 1 bedroom suite was $245. This time of year would be much cheaper.
Both hotels are about the same distance to the port. If you have teenagers as I do, you can take a cab or watertaxi to the main strip area, and go to Beach Place which has an outdoor shopping mall overlooking the ocean with lots of restaurants & bars also overlooking the ocean.
The Lago Mar or Marriott feel like a tropical resort, whereas the Sheraton is an okay,average hotel,but it also does have a nice stretch of beach. Hope this helped.