Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2002, 04:22 PM
Cruisin' Chris

Default Pier 66 vs. Marriott Marina - Real Differences

Ok folks, I've booked a tower room at Pier 66 for the 2 nights proceeding my March 10 Ocean Princess cruise. I'm putting a priority on being able to view activities in the Port, including the coming and going of the ships. I feel that I am really paying a premium for Pier 66 ($289/night) and while I know this is a quality property, I am curious what the real tangible differences might be between this hotel and the Marriott Marina. The Mariott is significantly cheaper. Anybody stayed at both? Or recent visitors who can comment in detail about their rooms. (size, amenities, services) etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Pier 66 vs. Marriott Marina - Real Differences

They are both nice hotels located on opposite sides of the intracoastal. Pier 66 is more of a high rise compared to the mariott. I prefer pier 66 because it is a bit of a classier hotel. It is located across the bridge from the docks, The food is in my opinion a lot better here and the service is very good. The pool area is very nice with waterfalls and waitress service. They have an excursion booth for all types of boat, fishing excursions etc. I stayed here on my boat one year but did not rent a room. All boaters have full access to the hotels amenities. There are many yachts docked here and there are some well heeled people that stay here. (There is a water taxi that goes to both hotels). The Mariott is a nice hotel but I did not think the food was that great it was more of a restaurant for nightlife and drinks. So if that is what your looking for I would pick Mariott. It has a great large pool also and there are many boats that dock right there but not as many as at the Pier 66. It is right across the street from the docks. The rooms are your basic hotel room by mariott, nicely done but not the Ritz. Neither would be a mistake to stay at it just depends if you want to spend a little bit more money at 66 for a little bit classier stay.
Old January 8th, 2002, 02:21 AM
First Mate

The Renaissance is also a lovely hotel, but without the nice pool areas of Pier 66 or the Marriott. It has a pool, but is right smack on the road. If I were staying for a pool or resort experience, I would prefer Pier 66 or the Marriott. Nevertheless, this new, quiet, and elegant hotel offers a close proximity to the piers and is walking distance to the other hotels. Service is excellent. It is as close to the pier as the Marriott and Pier 66. This hotel also offers free transportation to and from the airport, reducing the costs even further.

Additionally, it is walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping centers. Ask to stay on a high floor facing the port and you have great views of the ships. The concierge floor is well run and offers breakfast, all day beverages, pre-dinner hos d'hoerves and desserts.It is cheaper than the other 2 hotels. Cost for a concierge room was $149 and a room on a non-concierge floor was $129. I do not believe the cost differential between Pier 66 and the Renaissance is worth it, unless a pretty pool area is important to you...to the tune of $160 more???

We stayed there in December and I believe I would choose it over the Marriott or the Hyatt.
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:53 PM
FloridaLvr

I forgot about the pool at Pier 66!!! Wow! Really awesome!
Go to www.reservation-services.com & see if it is any cheaper thru them & if it is, book it & then cancel the other reservation! I am sure any of the websites will get you a better deal than $289!!! Wow!
Old March 2nd, 2002, 11:11 PM
Passenger

I had my highschool prom at Pier 66 in 1985. It was great then,ahh the memories. Good luck!!!!!