Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Need help in deciding New Orleans hotel :-)

We're sailing on the Grandeur out of New Orleans this fall.
We're going to stay over the night before the cruise and also the night after.
Our choices of where to stay were Hampton Inn Convention Center, Embassy Suites, or Hilton Riverside.
The Hampton is already sold out for one of the dates we need.
So now we're deciding between the Embassy Suites or the Hilton Riverside.
Has anyone stayed at one or both of these? How were they? Also which one would be better for us to stay at as far as location to the cruise pier and also getting to downtown New Orleans, etc... From the maps I've looked at so far these hotels look as if they are relatively close to each other, but it's hard to tell from which one it would be easier to get around.
From what I can see so far... Plusses for the Embassy are breakfast included and nightly happy hour included and also maybe nicer rooms since they are all suites? Plus for the Hilton is that it possibly seems closer to everything... with Riverwalk being attatched to it?
Another weird question... for anyone that's stayed in New Orleans...getting to the pier from your hotel or vice versa, did you take a cab so you didn't have to carry your luggage or how did that work out for you?This is also the first time in 6 cruises that we're doing our own air... all other times we had the transfers and didn't worry about luggage, etc...
I'd appreciate any opinions or input that anyone may have. We've never been to New Orleans before. That's the main reason we chose this particular cruise! I can't wait... :-)
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Need help in deciding New Orleans hotel :-)

Hi..
Im really interested in any replies that you get. Ive never been to New Orleans either but were sailing out of there in Dec. I too didnt know where to stay. I went with The Embassy. We have stayed with embassy several times in the past and really love the breakfasts having 4 kids! The rooms are quite nice sleeping with a living room and sofa bed. I got my rooms for both Miami this august for 99.00 and New Orleans in Dec for 99.00. I think thats a great deal... let me know if ya get any good info.

Thanks..
Paula..
Old June 28th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Need help in deciding New Orleans hotel :-)

We stayed at the Hilton. Depending on where your room is located, you may have a great view of the Mississippi. Also the trolley has a stop right there. The hotel is connected to the mall. It was not recommended to walk over to the cruiseport as the neighborhood in between the hotel and the terminal is not the nicest. We used Blue Moon Limo service. They met us at the airport, took us to the hotel. Then did the hptel to the port and finally the port back to the airport. We had like 12 people with us so we used their mini bus. We took the trolley to the Jackson Sq stop and then walked up to Boubon Street. It is like a half mile walk back along Canal street I think. II am not exactly sure where the Embassy Suites are.