Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Default Tampa Hotel and Bush Gardens

I have a group of 8 people sailing on the Sensation next January. We are thinking of going down to Tampa a couple of days early to go to Bush Gardens. We will be flying into the Tampa airport. Where is the best place to stay that is not too far away from the port or from Bush Gardens? Not looking for luxury but would like a nice safe and clean place to stay any suggestion would be great. Thank-you.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Tampa Hotel and Bush Gardens

Wyndham Hotel is very clean and convenient.
Ask for Michael Cheren, he's the guest services manager and very accomodative.
BarryBillie Jo wrote:

> I have a group of 8 people sailing on the Sensation next
> January. We are thinking of going down to Tampa a couple of
> days early to go to Bush Gardens. We will be flying into the
> Tampa airport. Where is the best place to stay that is not too
> far away from the port or from Bush Gardens? Not looking for
> luxury but would like a nice safe and clean place to stay any
> suggestion would be great. Thank-you.
Old July 14th, 2002, 01:23 AM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Tampa Hotel and Bush Gardens

I lived in Tampa for years, not far from Busch Gardens, which is north of where downtown and the port are. It's no more than 20 -30 min. from downtown to Busch Blvd. or Fowler Ave. if it's not rush hr. Tampa itself really isn't that large and, contrary to the commercials and names of sports teams w/ the words Tampa Bay in them, Tampa considers itself quite separate from St. Pete and Clearwater, etc. To people there, Tampa Bay means the BAY that is the WATER! But to the point, there are LOTS of motels along Fowler Ave., which runs parallel to Busch Blvd., about l or 2 miles to the north of it. Univ. of South FL is on this road, as well as MANY, MANY places to eat and a large mall. Busch Blvd. also has several motels from I-75 to the Gardens ON Busch Blvd. Most of these are smaller and tad more "budget". There are restaurants there, too, though not quite as many. On Fowler you will find more, esp. between I-75 and USF. You know, all the "usual" low to moderately priced chains. There is a great waterslide park called Adventure Island owned by Busch Gardens just east of the Gardens, too, that is really fun if you have the time. I'd advise going on some of the discount hotel websites like hotelwiz.com or discounthotels.com; expedia.com and click on the maps of the hotels you are interested in. The Wyndam is very nice, but it's also more expensive. There are also a couple of good places to stay by the airport and Courtney Campbell Causeway (the road that takes you to Clearwater that is near the airport - the airport's about l0 min. from downtown). The main reason to stay near B.G. is that when you get done at Busch Gardens after a long, hot day, you'll be glad to be close to your hotel! More than you ever wanted to know, I know! Hope this helps.