Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Default AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

which is your pick and why for a pre-cruise 1-night stay in Ft. Lauderdale
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2003, 03:28 PM
frugal hotel

Default Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

There is a review of them, as well as a "tutorial" on each of the Priceline and Hotwire zones for FLL (what each zone has to offer, distance to the pier, nightlife, etc) at:

www.BetterBidding.com

Go to Florida>> Hotel List and Tips and you'll see a thread specifically for cruisers!

There is also some tips to "virtually" identify some of the properties that Hotwire is offering.
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

Embassy is a 3 star and the suites and perks are better but as such the price is usually more. They have 2 rooms suites with either 2 double beds or a King and a pull out sofa in the living area. Nice for a family or extended stay. They provide a cooked to order breakfast with buffet items and a Happy Hour each evening plus airport and pier van transportation. Amerisuites is a newer property right 2.5 stars, around the corner, but the rooms are much smaller and the hotel is a smaller facility with smaller pool. They provide a continental breakfast and van transportation from the airport and to the port. Van transfer to port can be frustrating as there are many ships, cruisers and people wanting transportation at the same time with only one van available for the port and airport. The driver may tell you when he is going to what port. Rack rates at Amerisuites start about $140 with a low bid on Priceline at about $45 depending on season. Embassy starts about $230 with present low priceline winning bids for April going at $75. If I won Embassy for $75 before April 19, I would be happy and go with that hotel.
Bon voyage
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Embassy Suites is my hotel of choice in Ft Lauderdale.
1) good pick up service at airport (they run multiple vans) free
2) HUGE 2 room suites facing into enclosed courtyard garden
3) evening cocktails -free
4) very extensive full breakfast served in the courtyard garden -free
5) Scheduled drop offs at the pier -free- make reservation when you check in.
6) walking distance to extensive precruise shopping . everything from grocery stores to discount pharmacy , to a dive shop within one block.
7) nice pool and restaurant on premises.
8) alternate dining in walking distance, several choices.
If you add up the included items; airport transfer(say a cab would be $12.00), two cocktails (you could have 10 if you can drink that much, but let's say $10); two breakfasts, lets say $20; and transfer to pier, lets ay $10) all but get the room for free.
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:57 PM
cruzingal

Another vote for Embassy Suites. We stayed there pre-cruise last time and will be there again on March 28th. The fall is cheaper Nov. bid was $55.00 and March was $75.00. I still think it is a great deal.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 09:49 AM
susancruzs

I'd say go with the majority here. I stayed at AmeriSuites and it was o.k.. In November, I stayed at the Marriott and will try the Embassy or Renaissance next time.

AmeriSuites FL isn't on par with other locations. The breakfast area was crowded and messy! Once people started to wait for the shuttle, it became a nightmare because they crowded the little eat-in area.

When I tried to use their shuttle, there was no list, it was a free-for-all, literally. To make matters worse, it was pouring! There was an elderly couple getting jostled, pushed around so I approached them and asked if they'd like to share a cab!

In my opinion, the pier is so close to the hotels, cab is the only way to go!

Susie
Old March 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
Admiral

thanks for the info gang, looks like Embassy Suites it will be.
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:40 AM
Passenger

OK folks, all this advice is great, but how do you get a room at the Embassy Suites for $75? I've tried several different sites such as hotels.com, expedia, etc.......cheapest I can get for Sept. is $130. Is there something going on here that I don't know about? Would welcome any advice!
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Log onto biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com for help with the two price bidding sites, Priceline and Hotwire. You can even check out what hotels have been bought for what price and when. This is very important so you know what hotel you may bid for the winning price.
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:54 PM
frugal hotel

http://www.betterbidding.com

Linking for the Lazy
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

I don't want to sound stupid here, but I was at both sites, entered my info and stopped after I read they automatically book a hotel for you once a price is accepted and they don't tell which hotel until after the price is accepted and booked. My question is, what if you want to stay at a specific hotel?
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM
frugal hotel

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

Read this brief tutorial on how Priceline and Hotwire works: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.p...f=173&t=242&s=

You're right that you're not guaranteed a specific hotel, but there are things to do in order to increase your chances of getting a specific hotel (and with Hotwire almost guarantee a specific hotel)
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Jolee3

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

I am trying to book a room on Hotwire. It asks for an area. Are these hotels considered "beach hotels"? Thanks...
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:52 PM
thereuare

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

It's probably the downtown zone, but check http://www.betterbidding.com first to make sure, and to give you an idea of the hotel being offered before you purchase.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
Boo Boo

Embassy Suites is in the "Downtown" zone at hotwire.com.

It is, as far as most people can ascertain, the only 3.5star property with a red "S" as an amenity (i.e. it is a "suite" hotel). Obviously, you are taking a risk that there may be a new 3.5star suite hotel opened up in that area, but you should be okay. Read the "Better Bidding" website - that is a complete MINE of information :-)

I booked the Enbassy Suites through Hotwire (by selecting the 3.5star property with the red "S" as an amenity...), for my July cruise, for $48 a night + fees and taxes ($114.95 total for the two nights). This is a bargain, I believe. Have only ever heard good things about the Embassy Suites.

Boo
Old July 3rd, 2003, 11:00 AM
Admiral

You got a bargain and will find it to be a great hotel and the immediate area is terrific
for a precruise stay as there is good shopping and such right next door and accross the street. Be sure to take advantage of their free airport shuttle and free shuttle to the pier. By the time you add in the free shuttles, free cocktails and free breakfast , compared to another hotel you are just about getting the room for free.
Old July 4th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Boo Boo

Default Re: Re: Re: AmeriSuites or Embassy Suites??

We are going to take advantage of the free food and drinks, but will be hiring a car: we like the freedom that having a car brings

Thanks for the information though, we are looking forward to our stay

Boo
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Passenger

My travel agent booked me for one night pre-cruise (Oct. 17) at AmeriSuites for $79.00. I will be driving down from Atlanta and AmeriSuites said I could leave my car there during the cruise -- no charge! I calculated the $10-12$/day port parking and went with AmeriSuites. Has anyone on the Boards ever left a car at AmeriSuites? How can I find out what the port charges are? Thanks.