Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:08 AM
Passenger

Default DoubleTree in New Orleans

Going to New Orleans. Has anyone tried the Doubletree hotel on Canal St? Is it OK and quite central to everything, this is our first time in NO. Any "must sees" suggestions, we are only there overnight, before joining our cruise the next day.

By the way, we paid $107 for a room with two queen size beds, booked direct with them, and got the internet rate. Thought of using Priceline, but wanted to be sure of getting a room big enough for the whole family.
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:49 AM
clem

Default Re: DoubleTree in New Orleans

Dear Clare,

I am so glad you posted this question, because I was just going to ask the same thing! It seems to be at a pretty central location, but I am not sure how we should get from the hotel to the pier. Is it too far to walk with luggage, or should we take a taxi? Also, how are you getting from the airport to the hotel--taxi? I would be anxious to hear any feedback on this! Have a great time in New Orleans!
Old August 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: DoubleTree in New Orleans

It's too far to walk. Take a taxi it's about $7/pp and well worth it.

Imagination 96
Destiny 97
Holiday 99
Fascination 01
Rotterdam 02
Conquest 07/03
Conquest 02/29/04
Old August 20th, 2003, 08:21 AM
jnj

Default Re: DoubleTree in New Orleans

We spent 4 days in NO last year, if you have time / interest I would suggest :

the zoo cruise - yeah, it's to the zoo which we liked a lot, but you get a ride on the Mississippi with audio tour on the way.

Dinner cruise (we used Natchez for both of these tours) with dixie jazz band. It's a buffet, but was a lot of fun to see NO at night.

There's a restaurant across from the Doubletree on the corner, 2nd floor with wrought iron balconies. I am drawing a complete blank on the name, but it's one of allegedly "the" famous restaurants. It was a major disappointment to both Hubby and I (we had Jambalaya and a creole rice dish which are NO specialties, I've had better by making Zatarains at home!). I know it's bad when hubby came back from the mens room and there were 3 other men in there discussing how bad the food and service was that night.

There is a huge open air not quite flea market, but close, with the BEST praline candies!! (cafe DuMond is here too)

There is also a shopping mall by the cruise docks if you check out too early. Cafe DuMond is in the mall for a beignet (donut) and chicory coffee fix. The aquarium is next to this mall.

Ask the cabbie to tell you a little of the history as he drives you thru to the hotel. We did this with our cabbie from the Amtrak station, and he gave us a little tour on the way, it probably cost us an extra $5 'cause he took a couple side trips.

Gray Line has some evening tours, depending on the ages of your party. One was ghosts, one was witchcraft. They have day ones too, but we skipped those and wandered about on our own.

Do not be alarmed, you can drink on Burbon Street as long as it is not in a glass container. It's hard to get used to seeing it, but it's really OK!!