Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Default Flying to MIA but cruise is in FLL

We are flying into Miami International late eve (9:30 pm) for a cruise the next day out of Ft Lauderdale (5 pm)(Golden Princess). Anyone know the best place to stay and/or transportation to use for this?

Since there are no time constraints, I would expect that a Miami hotel would be fine... get up the next day and make it in plenty of time for the cruise. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2003, 08:31 PM
frugal hotel

Default Re: Flying to MIA but cruise is in FLL

Personally, i prefer to be closer to the cruise (so in your case, i'd prefer to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, unless my MIA flight gets in VERY late)... just makes for fewer potential problems.

Best (read: cheapest) bet is to use Priceline or Hotwire. You can check out the website below, which explains each, gives lots of tips, and shows you how you can pretty much figure out how to get the property you're looking for (look in FLORIDA>> Hotel List and Tips>> Info for cruisers):

www.BetterBidding.com

Examples of some deals are the Miami Downtown Hyatt for $27/nite, and in Ft. Lauderdale the Embassy Suites are often had for between $55-85.
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:41 AM
Christy

Default Re: Re: Flying to MIA but cruise is in FLL

We stayed at the Sheraton AirPort Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, and got the room for $60 on Priceline. It was a great room, and I THINK they provide free shuttle service to the FLL sea port. Call them and check first if you decide to book.

The hotel was beautiful, pool, gift shop, mini-starbucks cafe at the bar, restaraunt, and the room was very comfy, nice, and big.

There are other hotels in FLL that provide free shuttle to the sea port. I would get the taxi ride out of the way first, and get closer to the port for the next morning.

By the way.... why are you flying into Miami? I assume it was cheaper, but that is strange. We cruised out of Miami, and it was $400 cheaper to take a flight into FLL instead of Miami.
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Flying to MIA but cruise is in FLL

since you are getting into Miami in the late evening, i would opt to stay at a hotel in Miami (maybe at the airport) and then either rent a car or hire a limo to take you to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale. Is there any reason why you are flying into Miami instead of flying into Ft. Lauderdale. Ft. Lauderdale airport is so much nicer and easier to navigate than Miami International.
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Flying to MIA but cruise is in FLL

Frankly, IMHO the FLL airport is horrible. My daughter had a very bad experience there, weather-related, but also pilot error. It took 5 attempts and 2 landings for her to arrive at FLL (they landed in Tampa to refuel since 2 missed landings were all they had fuel for).
No wonder it is cheaper.