Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Default Packing!

I am stressing over packing. Do you suggest a garmet bag or just fold dresses into a suitcase? Also, has anyone had problems with lost luggage on your airline trip? We are spending two days in Ft. Lauderdale before we sail and we have a non-stop flight, so I am hoping not to have trouble. We leave here in about 10 days. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Packing!

We have been very lucky and never lost a piece of luggage while traveling. We used to use a garment bag but have purchased the newer rolling Suiter style suit cases. Inside you have fold out partitions for Hanging garments. Leave good clothes in light plastic dry cleaner bags and on light coat hangers. Fold as few times as necessary and pack.

Best packing hint I can give you is to put one outfit for each occasion in your traveling companions' suitcases. Example: a swim suit, a pair of shorts & top for each sex including a change of underwear and shoes, an evening casual outfit and a formal or informal outfit, again including shoes into your husband's or your suitcase. This way if a suitcase is lost, it is usually only one bag. You each will still have some of your own clothes to get by with. If you have a total of 4 pieces of luggage, two large and two small, you will have at least 3 days of outfits to wear until your luggage catches up to you or you need to purchase new stuff. Once before late dining we had received 3 out of 4 suitcases. I had the evening casual outfit but only had sneakers! Luckily the bag arrived just before we needed to go to the dining room. I learned a good leason.

The only time we experienced lost luggage of a cruisemate was in Europe. We had all arrived a day early and stayed a night in a local hotel, thus all luggage was within our control and personally brought to the port for embarkation. Well cruise) never showed up at their cabin. After 3 months of filling out claims with the cruise line, homeowners insurance and travel insurance, after getting all the reciepts for the new tux and new gowns, etc., and after finally getting a check in the mail, they were notified the bag had been located right in the embarkation terminal! Lesson learned.

Have a great cruise and don't lock your luggage until you get to the port if flying within the USA. Don't pack anything of great value in checked luggage: jewelry, camera, watch, medication. Carry it in a tote bag with you on board.
Bon Voyage

Caribbean Princess