Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:30 AM
sesmom*

Default Galveston- Hotels pre-cruise

Any other rec. besides harbor House- It seems to be full- on the internet sites-
for the night we need. I'd like parking and trans. to the ship !!
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM
sweetsea

Default Re: Galveston- Hotels pre-cruise

It always said it was unavailable for me too on the internet sites. But look at the hotel directly. Check around....it is something like www. Galvestonlodging.com. It is $109.00booked directly like this. It is a yndham hotel, but does NOT come up on the Wyndham site. However, it seems many people out there prefer this hotel to either Hotel Galvez or the Tremont.
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Babylene

Hi! We booked the Galvez and would like to know why people prefer the Harbor House. Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Yeah..

We Stayed at the Tremont, and I'd also like to know "Why People Seem To like the Harbor house better"?

Despite the misguided post above, We thought the Tremont House was Fantastic!

Srpilo
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:41 PM
sweetsea

Sprilo: I am not sure I would call my post "misguided". Check out my question concerning this same topic just days earlier. I asked this question on this board & other cruise boards & MANY of our fellow cruisers recommended Harbor House. I have never stayed in Galveston, so I have no personal knowledge of any hotels there. I was simply passing on the information from others on this very board. Many people seem to prefer this smaller hotel. In my opinion, they are all Wyndham Hotels & they all look very nice on their internet sites.
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Admiral

We have cruised out of Galveston twice and stayed at the Beachfront Best Western. Parking is free there during your cruise, and the taxi to the dock is about $10 each way. I think we paid under $70 for the motel. Also, there is a Super Walmart about a block away, a Krogers next door and lots of nice resturants on the beach front drive.
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Passenger

We stayed at The Best Western last summer also and it was fine, not luxury, but okay. Very convienent.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
cruisinKandJ

I read the posts about the preference for the Harbor House. I would say that it has the edge for location, because it's close to where the ships dock.

The Harbor House is our first choice. However, though our date of Feb 18, 2005 seems to be available, their web site won't offer any prices yet. Second, can someone tell me if the Harbor House is close to restaurants and shops?

The Tremount is our second choice. How about restaurants and shops around this hotel?

J.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Lene

Hi! Does the Harbor House offer a free shuttle from the port?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
cruisingkandJ

I plan to call HH on Monday. When I get the info, I'll post it.

J.
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:19 PM
cruisinKandJ

Here's the deal on Harbor House. I called them today:

They're not very forthcoming with info. First of all, rates for 2005 are unavailable, and they don't know when they will be, so you can't make reservations. When I asked if I should call in about six months, the response was, "It's possible." More likely, it's three months prior to the cruise.
'
Someone asked about a shuttle service from the hotel. There is none. When I asked about taxis, the woman said, "Well, it's walking distance." I wanted to know what the cab fare would be for people with non-rolling luggage. She didn't know.

Think I'll pick somewhere else to stay.

J.
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Admiral

We stayed at the Commodore On The Beach. An older hotel but refurbished and nice. It is right across from the beach and all rooms face the beach. We thought the prices were very reasonable. You can leave your car there (unsecured but monitored) and they will take you to the ship and pick you up for free. We had no problems and the people who work there were all very nice. They also have a pool, continental breakfast, and cookies and milk in the evening! Their website is www.commodoreronthebeach.com