Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:44 PM
geejay

Default Sheraton Yankee Clipper

Has anyone stayed here lately? I am wondering if it is clean and a good place to stay one night pre-cruise.
We are also hoping to eat at Shula's On the Beach. Anyone have information on it? I am also wondering if it is casual dress.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:59 AM
melania

Default Re: Sheraton Yankee Clipper

I have stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for three nights. It is a nice hotel right on the beach. The bar usually has happy our each day with some beer specials and snacks as well. Staff is very friendly too.

You can walk to Shula's on the beach, about 10-15 minutes. It is in the other Sheraton Yankee Trader. The food is very good, I have also stayed at that hotel and had lunch there.
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:00 PM
First Mate

We just stayed there this past Monday, having come off 10 days on the Summit. This was our second time there, the last being in 2000, again for one night.

I do not like this hotel.

Granted, it is on the beach, but the property itself is showing a lot of wear. My sense is that were it not for the proximity to the beach, one wouldn't look at it twice.

The room we had was over looking the beach, was roomy, but had apparently just had the rug shampooed ( I think) and there was a sweet chemical like smell which pervaded the room.

It is the only hotel I have been in where the bathroom door is a sliding door !

The beds were so, so. This is probably true of all Sheratons with the new pillow top mattresses. Pillows were OK. The air conditioner was loud; the shower was great.

The lobby is small and unattractive.

The restaurant is expensive. We ate there last time, and it was less than memorable. This time we walked up the street (north) and ate at a place called Pusser's. Good food and a decent price.

The beach, however is very nice. They also have a small pool. The property has its own ocean frontage, but abuts the public beach which is really nice and runs for a couple of miles north. You can see the ships sail out from both the hotel beach as well as the public beach. You will see them after they have cleared the channel where the condos are, and are a good 1/2 mile out to sea. We saw Summit go out, as well as an RCL ship - both impressive.

Our pre-cruise night was spent at the Renaissance (sp?) on 17th street, which, while not on the beach, is 10 times more lovely than the Clipper. (Why we spent the night at the Clipper after the cruise will be a subject for discussion for some time to come.) It does have a pool; small, but well kept. It's closer to the port, and depending on which side they put you, and how high up, you can see the cruise ships from the hotel. An OutBack Steakhouse a couple of blocks away, as well as a Chuck's Steakhouse a bit closer. As you can tell, I like this property a whole lot better than the Clipper.

Anyway, one long-winded persons opinion.

I'm sure there will be others who disagree, some who may agree, but hey, that's what these forums are all about.

Sid1962

Post Edited (04-29-04 19:02)
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
geejay

Default Re: Re: Sheraton Yankee Clipper

Thank you both for your opinions. This is the motel we got through Princeline, so guess it will be okay for one night. We only paid $51.
What is the dress code for Shula's on the Beach? DH reallyl wants to go there, but I sure don't want to dress up after flying all day. We ate at the one at the Shula Resort some years back and it was casual, but wonder about this one?
Anyone been there??
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Sheraton Yankee Clipper

Geejay,

$51 from priceline is a good number. The going rate is 3 times that for an ocean view room.

Can't help you with Shula's. maybe they have a web site and you can e-mail them and ask,

Sid1962
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM
melania

Shula's on the beach is casual, the food is good.

That is a good deal what you got on Priceline!

Have a great cruise!
Melanie