CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Hotels (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hotels/)
-   -   Safe hotel in Miami? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hotels/297260-safe-hotel-miami.html)

Mickeymom923 July 16th, 2004 07:36 PM

Safe hotel in Miami?

Years ago I booked a hotel near the port in Miami and the cab driver refused to drop us off there. He said the hotel and area around the port in Miami was not safe and that we would not feel safe to leave the hotel. I thought he was literally going to take us for a ride but he shut the meter and drove us around and we found a hotel on Collins Ave near the Fountainbleu. I read some of the posts about the hotels in Miami and we are going out two days before the cruise so I do want to stay in a safe area and not be stuck in a hotel for 2 days. Is the bayside area safe or should I stay on Collins Ave again? Or around South Beach? Please help. What do you recommend?

hkolln July 17th, 2004 03:29 PM

Re: Safe hotel in Miami?

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on our cruise in Feb 2003 but we booked ours via priceline.com and got a great deal! It's right around the corner from the port and it was safe to us. I really enjoyed my stay there! I also hear the Sheraton there is a nice place too.

Mickeymom923 July 17th, 2004 06:45 PM

Thanks Helen.

susancruzs July 18th, 2004 09:29 AM

I'll add my vote, too! We stayed at the Hyatt Regency and felt perfectly safe. Bayside was not far away and convention center (attached to the Hyatt) has a stop for the aerial tram that goes right near Bayside. It was easy to do and even tho you could walk there, there aren't really sidewalks all the way so the tram seemed better.

Susie

MaryLou July 19th, 2004 05:16 AM

MM: We stayed at the Radisson this past winter and it was fine. There is the Hyatt and Double Tree hotels very near by also. We spoke for quite a long time to the doorman at the Double Tree. He told us that the area is much improved from even five years ago.
We took the shuttle to Bayside each night and felt perfectly safe. I would not walk from the hotel to Bayside at night though.

birdbea July 22nd, 2004 12:09 AM

Anyone stay at the Embassy Suites -near the airport ? I booked it with Priceline a week or so ago for the end of Aug. looks nice . We are paying right ay $62.00 per night for a 2 bedroom suite. Were hoping it's not too far from the port , I don't remember exactly but think it was pretty close .

hcat July 22nd, 2004 01:15 PM

What about the Holiday Inn across from the Bayside Marketplace... do not expect to wander at night....

hazelson July 23rd, 2004 10:34 PM

Mickeymom - hope you gave that cabbie a great tip - you won't find to many like him around these days. It's great to have sites like this though - saves us from so many problems. Jennifer

angela4 July 24th, 2004 02:17 PM

We have booked our family into the Marriott Biscayne Bay near the cruises ship dock in Miami--have heard it is the best to stay at with families and quite highly rated for what it has to offer. Hope it is as good as I have heard!