Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2004, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Default Car Rental to the Airport from Home

I just came up with a great way to get myself to the airport so I could fly to my three-week cruise vacation, without paying for parking and when a taxi or limo is too expensive.

I live in Miami Florida about 30 miles south of Miami International Airport. If I drive myself to the airport and leave my car for 21 days at the airport it will cost me $12 a day or $252 for parking. Besides I don't like to leave my car in a parking lot for that long even if it was for free.

I've called several limo and taxi services and it will cost me about $100 each way to get two people with luggage to MIA.

I decided to call Budget Rental car and I can rent a compact car in my town and drive it to the airport, drop it off and take the shuttle bus they offer to the airport for only about $40 one way. They told me it may cost a little more to do my return trip from MIA because the airports charge more, but even if it's $50 it's worth it. They even said you get the best price when yoiu book it on the internet.

INow maybe this idea has been on these threads before, but I just solved my problem.

Has anyone else done this?

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Car Rental to the Airport from Home

I've done this several times......most of the time to fly in/out of Atlanta, but it is a great trick to use in many places. It's amazing that parking has gotten so expensive that this is a cheaper option.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Car Rental to the Airport from Home

You may also want to contact a few of the airport area hotels. Many of them have stay, park & fly rates. I once booked the Crowne Plaza MIA for $99 as one of these packages. The $99 rate included parking for up to 10 or 14 days I believe.