Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Mary R.

Default Days Inn or Hampton Inn-Miami

Hi,
Has anyone stayed at the Days Inn Miami Int'l Airport at 7250 NW 11th Street or the
Hampton Inn & Suites Airport South? Both have shuttles from the airport and the Days Inn has a shuttle to the port. Just looking for a good place to stay pre-cruise with restaurant in or nearby. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
Mary R.
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Days Inn or Hampton Inn-Miami

We stayed in the Day's Inn near the hospital in 12/03. We missed the last shuttle to the hotel because our plane was late. The taxi driver told us not to leave the hotel once we arrived there because the area is not very good. The hotel itself was very run down, though the room was clean enough.

They have a small restaurant where we had breakfast - nothing great. The free shuttle to the pier was probably the best thing about the hotel.

I think if I cruise out of Miami again, I will probably use Priceline and then worry about transfers myself.

Good luck.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Mary R.

Default Re: Re: Days Inn or Hampton Inn-Miami

Thank you for your info regarding the Days Inn in Miami. I will definately try and find another motel. I've been thinking about using Priceline, but am still a little nervous about that idea. Not sure what we might end up with, although I've read alot about it. Of course I think that we'll be the ones that get some motel that Priceline just added that is a dump.

I see that you were on the Triumph last year. How did you like it? We are going on the Triumph in April.

Thanks,
Mary R.
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
zina

Mary, check out the website biddingfortravel.com. It has completely demystified anything and everything about Priceline. This will be my third pre-cruise stay using Priceline. In the past I've got great hotel bargains and have paid no more than $42.00 per night! The downtown section of Miami is closest to the Port of Miami, and like i said, all of the three star and above hotel choices are wonderful, and the proce can't be beat!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cheri

We stayed at Hampton Inn at Blue Lagoon last year --wonderful wonderful...its considered one of the best Hamptons... found the staff to be very accomadating..we stayed 3 days before cruising.
I got a terrible case of food poisening the night before we embarked and when my DH found me laying passed out on the bathroom floor the staff were great about getting EMS.
I can laugh about it now but at the time --oh boy--anyways staff even got me bottled water and crackers to settle me insides before I got on ship.
There are many places to eat nearby--some deliver and there is a drugstore--think it was Walgrens --just down the block for those last minute needed items.

Cheri

ps they dont have shuttle to port but will help arrange shuttle bus/van at reasonable $$
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Mary R.

Default Re: Re: Re: Days Inn or Hampton Inn-Miami

Thanks Zina and Cheri. I have been looking at betterbidding.com and trying to get the nerve up to use Priceline downtown. I am not totally convinced that I should take the chance. Cheri, I'm glad to hear that the Hampton was nice, we have a room booked there which can be cancelled if we do the Priceline bidding. Sorry to hear you had food poisoning. Where did you eat so that we don't make the same mistake? Glad the staff was very helpful to you. It must have been a really scary way to start your trip.
Thanks again.
Mary R.
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Newt

Default Re: Days Inn Civic or Hampton Inn-Miami

Avoid the Civic Centre Days Inn in Miami, dirty actually filthy would be a better word. Very disorganized, rooms not ready before 3 pm. Everyone we met felt the same way, looks and sounds great on the web, but everyone we spoke with never took their shoes off in the room.

They offer free shuttle service in their ads but don't mention when it shows up. They also have a sign at the front desk that states "Free Shuttle depending if available" We ended up taking a cab after waiting at the airport for an hour rather than continue waiting for the shuttle. The line up to get to the cruise port was 40 - 50 people deep checking out of the hotel and their dodge van could only take six passengers at a time. I would say at least 30 guests hailed cabs at $15.00 rather than wasting anymore time waiting for their turn on the shuttle.

Its true when they say you get what you pay for, and at $80.00 a night we sure did.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from Eastern Carb. Navigator of the Seas, and we stayed at the Days Inn Civic Center on Friday night before we left. We arrived at the airport from Atlanta around 8:00. We called when we got our luggage and probably had to wait 30 minutes before the shuttle arrived. There was only one family waiting with us. With all the bad things said about the Days Inn I was really worried. When we got there it looked like a typical Days Inn. We checked in with no trouble and asked how we could get to Bayside. They also have a shuttle for this. They offered to take us for free (of course a tip was expected). We went to our room which we found OK. Not great but OK. It wasn't the Ritz but for only 1 nite I could deal with it. It was clean however. I checked the bathroom and found it also clean. They took us to Bayside and told us to call when we wanted to come back. We called after finishing dinner at Bubba Gump's and had to wait about 20 minutes for the shuttle. All in all, I don't think that I would recommend this hotel to anyone but if it is a cheap place you are looking for and with the free shuttle it really wasn't all that bad. But everyone has there own level of comfort. We were so tired from traveling that we were OK with it. When we got up the next morning we had to wait for the shuttle for about 20 minutes and we were the only ones on it besides an older lady going to Bayside. No hassles there either. Like I said earlier it definately isn't a 4star and maybe not even a 2star but for 12 hours we could deal with it.
Old March 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Joe Barry

Days Inn South Beach was good for a couple of nights before our cruise...nice beach, OutBack restraunt across the parking lot, great pool, short cab ride to clubs and bars.
The rooms were cheap for s.beach .