Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need advice on South Beach

I've never been to South Beach, but I found a great beachfront hotel price at the Holiday Inn Miami Beach, which looks to be right in the South Beach area. I have kids, but we're not total prudes (we're summertime boaters, so my kids have seen some skin).

What is South Beach like, what can we expect to see? We are staying for 1 day/night post-cruise, so it's not a long-term stay. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Need advice on South Beach

I was just in South Beach a few weeks ago and stayed in one of the art deco hotels. First off, the beach is very nice and your kids will enjoy swimming. There were some topless sunbathers, but nothing that would keep me from taking my kids (ages 11 and 8) - cause there are enough people, etc. People watching along ocean drive is very good - almost all of the restaurants have outdoor seating etc. Some of the places are high dollar though. Overall - I tought S. Beach was really fun for one or two nights - but no more. It is very trendy as you can imagine. The only concern I might have with kids is that I didn't see any fast food, no hot dog vendors on the beach, no souvenir shops, etc. S. beach really markets to a different crowd than that. That said, I think it would be a good place to stay. The drive from the airport to S. Beach will take you right past all of the ships in the port, so that might be fun for the kids.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM
mamax4

jwith2boys-
How long did you say you were in South Beach. Like you, I have boys - three of 'em ages 8 - 12 and a 6 yr daughter. I'm beginning to wonder what to do with them for 2 nights/days? Aside from the beach/pool, do you have any suggestions?
Thanks Kelly
Old March 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Shan

Hello,

I have been to So. Beach many times and you don't have to worry about the kids...believe me they won't allow "nudity" on the streets...you might see some gals in short shorts and a bikini bathing suit top but thats all I've seen.....it's quite interesting to see the architect in Miami....very retro...or 1920's style....the colors are wonderful!!

By the way I'm in my mid 50's and somewhat old fashioned...I didn't find it bad at all.

Have fun!!
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cuti

Thanks for responding, any advice/suggsetions are always helpful!