Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Jean S

Default Vancouver Hotels

We are planning to spend three days in Vancouver prior to our Princess cruise to Alaska. Can anyone suggest a nice hotel near the water? I actually would like something upscale and conveniant. Also any suggestions on what to do in the Vancouver area would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:11 PM
linda g.

Default Re: Vancouver Hotels

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront for two nights prior to our Alaskan cruise. It was much less expensive than the Pan Pacific and we were able to walk across the street to catch our ship (Celebrity's Infinity) The Fairmont Waterfront is located right near the subway and shares a shopping center with the Pan Pacific. It is in walking distance to Gas Town, a historic part of the city plus near many fine stores and restaurants. It is always better to spend a little more for a nice hotel that is centrally located in the city!
Old March 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Admiral

For a different yet certainly great experience try a Bed and Breakfast like OCanada House or any one of several others in the same neighborhood. Located just a short walk to Robson Street, which is truly where things happen in Vancouver. You can walk to Stanley park in about 20 minutes, (great walk )and to the Granville Island ferry in about 10 minutes. Very upscale place with superb food and service. Nothing like coming in in the afternoon, putting your feet up in a living room and sipping sherry by a warm fire . We stayed three nights there and two at the Metropolitan Hotel (a very chi chi downtown hotel ) and I'll take the B&B any time.
What to do. Gas Town, a historic , touristy area in down town Vancouver.
China Town . Granvillie Island , a produce market and artist colony on an Island opposite an upscale neighborhood . Stanley Park, beautiful views of the water , aquarium, totem pole exhibit, scenic overlooks and a beautiful in city park. Try the horse drawn trolley tour. Capilano Suspension Bridge , just outside the city this is a 400 foot bridge (think Indiana Jones) over the Capilano River. Beautiful Park and views , great tree top exhibit on the other side of the bridge. Day trip to Whistler Village, unbelievable scenery on the sea to sky highway with Whistler Village (home to 2010 Olympics) as your destination. Several tour companies offer inclusive day trips that are well worth the money.
Do a search back to October in the Chat thread under my name , we spent 5 great days in Vancouver and I covered most of it in detail.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

PapaBill has some great suggestions - especially Gas Town - also take the sea bus across to North Vancouver 's Lonsdale Quay - great little market right by the dock! Pacific Centre Mall and Robson Street are also must visits for shopping. Or you can just give me a call and I'll come and get you and bring you here to our place for a couple of days - do you like dogs, cats, birds lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Jean S

Default Re: Re: Vancouver Hotels

Tnanks for the great suggestion. A family member suggested Westin Bayshore as a nice hotel. Has anyone stayed there?
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:25 AM
claude

Default Re: Re: Re: Vancouver Hotels

Hi,
Suggestions you received so far are very good.
The Westin Bayshore is not as close to the port as the Waterfront.
But it's on a par with it overall. Has a view to kill for !!!
Its price at that time of the year is also comparable.
As our new Convention Centre construction ( immediately next
to the west berth dock) is underway, the "" environnement "" feel in
the Waterfront might take a bit of the starch away from its otherwise
impeccable credentials;; The Westin Bayshore would isolate you
better. For closeness to all the points of interest however, Waterfront
is tops...
Happy sailing

CG
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sea Turtle

I've only stayed in Vancouver once and it was just for one night prior to my last Alaska cruise. I stayed at the Pan Pacific and it was the best night sleep of my life. I would stay there again just for the bedding alone. :-)

The service was superb, location was supreme, and having my luggage transferred to the ship by the bellman allowed me to extend my stay at the hotel until the very last minute.

All of the suggestions above sound quite appealing as well.

Enjoy the planning!