Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:51 PM
shw

Default Arriving in Orlando with Cruise out of Tampa

Hello all,

I will be arriving 12/10/2005 (Saturday about 5pm local time) in Orlando (MCO). My cruise departs from the Port of Tampa the next day, Sunday on Legend of the Seas.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get myself to Tampa the night of my arrival or the next morning. It looks like it is a 2 hour or so trip.

A couple of questions... Does RCL offer their transfer package from Orlando to Tampa? If this is the case, I may just stay in an Orlando hotel and do that the next day. This also covers the return trip.

If not, I may rent a car one-way or take a shuttle (depending on cost) and stay at a Tampa hotel for the night.

Any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM
shw

Default Re: Arriving in Orlando with Cruise out of Tampa

I did confirm that they only do transfers from Tampa airport to that seaport, so I think my quesion is answered.

I'll either shuttle or one-way rent a car to the other city.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

shw

I've found the hotels are cheaper in Orlando than Tampa. I don't know why, but that seems to be the case. However, if I were doing it, I would get to Tampa the night before and stay there. You never know if there will be a major accident and back up on the highway, a breakdown, or some other unforeseen problem. I just like being in my city of departure the night before.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:48 PM
cali-croozer

Agree with Darcy.......get to Tampa the night before. About the car rental, we rented a car to get from Tampa to WDW. Just browse the car rental web-sites and compare prices. The good thing about car rental reservations is that you don't have to give them a credit card number and you can cancel/modify at any time. If you find a good rate now, make the reservation. Then check every now and then for special deals. It really shouldn't cost that much.
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Check out this site: http://www.atlasmc.com/bgse/index1024.asp. You can get a bus from Orlando to Busch Gardens for $10/pp. I would see what they would charge to get you to the pier.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Orlando hotels are much cheaper because there is so much competition with the other hotels since they have about a million of them over there. I do agree with the others though. If there was a major accident on Interstate 4 (which is quite often) getting to Tampa from Orlando is a huge pain without the Interstate. I would be careful with the hotels in the Busch Gardens area. It's not the best part of town for hotels so if that shuttle goes to other locations as well. Westshore is a nice area and so are the hotels near the port (downtown).
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I just got back from Tampa and stayed at the Doubletree, which was fine. They had a shuttle to the pier and a nice restaurant right in the hotel.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Since my family lives just north of Orlando, I travel there frequently flying into TPA or MCO depending on the price. I always rent a car, and outside of high holiday season, have found the prices to be very good. There is a ton of rental cars in Florida.

The nice thing is that you do not have to pay drop charges with most of the companies. The drive is easy, once you get out of Orlando, but I have been caught in traffic on I-4 which slows it up to a crawl.

Just my 2 cents.

bob