Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:03 AM
First Mate

Default your best hotel ( *rating ) priceline for san diego

i will say at the start that when it comes time for me too start bidding on priceline for my hotel room ( NEXT YEAR ) i will go to biddingfortravel and see what is going on there and see the hotels that are being won and for how much.

i guess the main thing i want to know is will a 3 * be alright for just one night or will i have to go too a 4* to get near the peir.

but for fun now, i would like to know what star rating and hotel you have won on priceline for san diego near the dock. i have never been there before before and dont know what hotels are close to the hotel and what star rating in decent or not.

i have been informed that the pier is south of the airport but that is all i know.

so any info on the hotel you have gotten, if it was good and how close to the dock will be greatly appriciated.

i have alot of time to do research so i am looking foward to any help here so i can surf the net and get all the info i can before i start bidding on priceline.

thanks so much. i am so excited about this cruise and cant get enough of reading, researching and planning for this 8 day mexican riviera cruise.

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: your best hotel ( *rating ) priceline for san diego

Antron

I've never stayed in San Diego, but always choose at least a 3* when bidding on either Priceline or Hotwire. I do that as sometimes what they consider a 3* I would call a 2.5*. As I'm only staying for one night, its always ok. If I were going for a week or more I would probably use the 4* option. For the last three hotels I've booked on either site this is what I got:

For a 3* I've gotten the Doubletree (Priceline)

For a 3.5* I've gotten the Hyatt (Hotwire); and

For a 4* I've gotten the Wyndam (Hotwire)

Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Antron,
I have stayded in San Diego many times - 3 sons graduated from the Marine base MCRD downtown, also vacations and have sailed out of SD twice within the last year but have never use Priceline for a hotel. I will tell you by looking at PL's map for the area, if you want to get a hotel close to the ship, then book ONLY in the Downtown San Diego & Harbor Island section. If you look at the close up of the map, the ships dock right next to the Star of India. Directly across the street, walking distance, is the Holiday Inn On the Bay. Embassy Suites (3*) is down by SeaPoint Village I think you could start off bidding on a 4* to see what you can get but if you get turned down then add 3* Upscale.

Since your cruise is soooo far away, you probably can't book it now anyway but I would not try until about 3 months out or after you have paid your final payment . Things can happen before then and once you book on Priceline, you CAN NOT cancel and get a refund.

We booked the Embassy Suites for $129 and we also had the Best Western Bayside Inn up the street with a balcony view and we could see the ship for $129 but that included parking for the week.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
First Mate

darcy and ca cruiser.

thanks for the great info. it is great too know what others have gotten when they stayed there. wow, what a great price for the bay side inn. i hope i get that lucky. and yes, we want to be as close to the dock as possible.

i know i cant start bidding untill next year, but i am an ''' eager-beaver ''' when it comes to research and planning for the cruise ( grinning ). i will save this thread so i can use it for future use.

thanks again.