Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Default Port Canaveral - rethinking Raddison

We booked two king suites at the Raddison but I am now rethinking this. I read a few posts about how chaotic the hotel can be with people trying to get out to the ship. Anyone stayed here? Is the parking as secure as at the port? Might we be better off staying some place and driving to the port ourselves?
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Admiral

We stayed at the Radisson last month when we cruised on the Glory. The parking lot for cruise ship passengers is not adjacent to the hotel, it is down a little street and behind a building, you had to walk thru the lot to another parking lot that was adjacent to the hotel. We did not have a problem with our car but be aware that the parking lot is not a secured area, anyone can drive or walk into the parking lot. I asked if the lot was patrolled by hotel security personnel and was told, "yes" but rather doubt this. We had Bell Services bring all our luggage up to our room upon check-in because I did not want to leave it in the car because I wanted to open up the suitcases to save the clothes from being overly wrinkled. The breakfast included in the room rate is a hot breakfast buffet, very good. On departure day, I drove my car to the designated parking lot and walked back to the hotel and had Bell Services help me bring my luggage to the front of the hotel where the shuttle picks you up. I strongly encourage you to make a shuttle reservation because there are lots of people waiting to board the bus and they call names, it's not just helter-skelter with people pushing and shoving to board the shuttles. We had booked an 11:30 a.m. shuttle but when we arrived at the front of the hotel, there was a bus parked and they had room for two more people, so we hopped on. When you return from the cruise, the shuttle's first pick-up at the pier is 8:00 a.m. (we had early debarkation so we made the first shuttle) and it travels back and forth. Now, this is where it might get to be an "I was here first" situation because you can't reserve the shuttle going back. Carnival's parking lot at the pier is directly across the street from the ships. You would be able to drive in, drop people and your luggage off then return to the parking garage. It's much more civilized than cruising out of Miami. There is a brand new Residence Inn next door to the Radisson that looks nice but I don't know if they offer shuttle service. If you decided to just park at the pier, the Residence Inn looks like a good choice (don't know what the difference in pricing would be). Would I stay at the Radisson again, I don't think so, too much trouble with the luggage situation, parking, etc. I live an hour away from the Port and thought it would be very relaxing to arrive a day early and have a nice dinner, etc. There are lots of hotels in the area within an easy drive of the Port even if parking is not included. If you have any additional questions, please let me know and I'll send you my email address.
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Admiral

We have stayed at the Radisson & will again next month for a HS reunion! We did not have a car but did call 2 days before our arrival to put our name on the shuttle list early. Even with scheduled times, it was chaos and there was shoving and yelling. Our tablemates just called a cab for about $10. Our reservation did not include breakfast so that is an added incentive.

The next time we chose to stay at the Hampton Inn just 2 miles down A1A. We had a room on the 8th floor..a beautiful view of the ocean on both sides. They offer a continental breakfast, have a nice pool and a walkway down to the beach. There was an IHOP across the street opened 24 hours and a waffle house within walking distance. Also Ron Jon's is in walking distance. Cruise day was so nice and quiet. Many used Art's Shuttle for about $5/pp. Just another option. Have fun planning.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
Admiral

I just posted a list (with telephone numbers) of 15 hotels in the area of Port Canaveral. It's posted on the "Destinations" forum, at the bottom in the Embarkation Ports area. You might find it helpful if you're shopping around. All of the hotels are on Rte. A1A in Cocoa Beach, starting with the nearest to the port.

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Passenger

thanks everyone...and thanks for posting those hotels! I think i'll look around. We are going to have two vehicles and our group will be me, spouse, 3 teens, an infant, my mother and father in law so don't want to fight for the shuttle back to the hotel. We've parked at Port Canaveral before and had no problems, so I definitely think I may cancel the other reservation and go that route.

Lynn
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Good idea, Lynn, Port Canaveral is so easy to get in and out of, what a pleasure compared to Miami. The Residence Inn is a suite hotel, right? so that might work out well for your group.
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

If you are looking for reviews for the hotel, you may want to view Tripadvisor.com

People post hotel reviews here, some of which are for cruises. It's pretty good & most people are generally truthful. Expect to see a few whiny ones over stupid stuff.
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Beginner

We stayed at the Radisson in November '05. I booked it because of the heavily advertised 'view' of the cruise ships in port. Well! Yes, you could see the cruise ships -- but only barely. It was NOT worth the extra $$ just for this perk. Our room was just OK, nothing special. Next time I would book something with an ocean view instead.

Kris
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

well, to rest some fears. None of the hotels have a secured parking lot, its no different then the ones in your own town.

Port Canaveral is a safe area, its more industralized than anything. There are no hotels on the water since like Miami's port, the ship just goes down the canal & you are out in the open ocean. There's a few restaurants right on the water you can watch the ships come & go. It's not a big town, more residental than anything until you get near the pier, then it becomes industrial companies & such.

I stayed there this past July - see my review in Tripadvisor (under Sith_Lord, August 1, 2007) and see the pics. You can also see pictures that others took. Your room key raises and lowers the gate to get into the hotel. You just don't drive up & park anywhere you want.

It's not crowded, not sure where these large crowds people are talking about are coming from. The hotel is huge - 4 stories and broken down into 2 giant square sections connected by tropical courtyards. It feels like you are in a jungle type setting. The other two hotels nearby don't have this, they are just plain hotels.

The area is safe - next door is a Italian restaurant & on the other side is some sort of park or something for kids.

ANY hotel you pick you won't be able to see the cruise ships. The cruise terminal blocks the ships & basically even at the highest point of a hotel unless you are sleeping on the roof, you see the smoke stacks. The best place to take pictures of the ships is on the bridge coming into PC.

The Radisson also has a good gift shop right on the property. They have everything you could think of - bathing suits, towels, lotions, sunglasses, aspirins & anything you might need in the tropics or last minute for a cruise.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat - I was quoted $109 for a 1 bedroom jacuzzi suite & only paid $89 when I checked out. Then again, if you hang out at the other board & mention a name or two at check-in, they give you a board discount from what I've heard....but its not this website...its the other cruise **** website & the PC message board that's there until East Coast Departures. The hotel drums up alot of business because of that particular board.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

We did the Raddison a couple of years ago, going on the Glory. We wanted time to spend the space center. Did not run into anything like yelling, etc. over the shuttle. In fact, we were quite pleased and would do it again.
Marty
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Admiral

we stayed at the Hampton Inn in cocoa beach last month. Very nice placfe and we took their shuttle to the port and from the port back to hotel. Parking is at the hotel and is included. Shuttle service was 5.00 per person and we made arrangements to be picked up when we returned from the cruise. Everyone was very friendly and the room was excellent. Give them a try.

Need some cruise help?