our friends stayed at best western--center of own.It is a short cab ride to the port--actually walking distance--but there is always the luggage.
They had free wine anssnacks about 5 everyday--we stayed a bit further out--cannot remember the hotel--but i would not recommend it
What price range did you have in mind? I live in Columbia, SC and we drive to Charleston several times a year. The port in Charleston is located right in the center of the Historic district so anything within walking distance or shuttle is gonna be probably 150.00-200.00 per night range. A few that come to mind are:
1. Market Pavillion Hotel on East Bay Street -1-877-444-2250
2. The Lodge Alley Inn on East Bay Street 1-843-722-1611
3. The Harbour View Inn 888-853-8439
4. Doubletree Suites on Church Street - 1-843-577-2644
5. Best Western King Charles Inn on Meeting Street (sells out fast because of lower rates) - 1-843-723-7451
6. Holiday Inn Historic District - Calhoun Street 1-843-805-7900
7. Embassy Suites on Meeting Street 1-843-723-6900
I would suggest booking early as hotels fill up here months in advance. Many also require a 2 night minimum stay. I supplied phone numbers above for those I could find so you may just want to call and ask which offer shuttle service to the pier, most are within walking distance so most will probably offer a shuttle. If these are booked or too pricey you may want to consider staying just across the bridge in Mount Pleasant, you'll find your Days Inn and lower end hotels here and it's just a short taxi ride to the pier, about 10-15 minutes.
Carnival "Glory" November 2006
Carnival "Fantasy" July 2003
Royal Caribbean "Monarch" June 2002
We stayed at the Wingate Inn, in North Charleston, the night before departure. Safe location near Tanger Mall. Nice deal from them: free parking, 2 queen beds, complimentary cocktails 5-7, free round-trip shuttle to port, free breakfast............all for 99.00. Susan was our contact.
You have to book thru their local phone number. The 800 number won't be able to do it.