Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Familiar Face

Default San Diego Hotels

I will be staying in San Diego a couple of days pre cruise in March. I have looked at a number of hotels- Hyatt, Hilton, Embassy Suites and W. I am not sure which choice is the best. I would like to stay within walking distance to the Gaslamp district or Seaport Village. I am not sure which hotel would be best. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites, Omni Hotel, Best Western Bayside on Ash Street. These were all within walking distance. The Omni we got thru Priceline for $100. Bayside - park and cruise; we had a 9th floor balcony room and watched the ship come in the next morning. Embassy and Bayside offered free airport and port transportation. Embassy is across the street from Seaport and have their usual cook to order breakfast. Bayside gave us a breakfast coupon to the restaurant next door but limited menu. There is a Hampton Inn-Downtown very close by and the Holiday Inn on the Bay across the street from the cruise port. Have fun planning.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Last cruise out of San Diego we stayed at the Sofia Hotel. It is walking distance to Gaslamp and Horton Plaza. Rooms are small but very nice. Would stay there again. You can check their website if interested.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:07 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, it is much appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just booked some passengers spending 5 days in San Diego pre-cruise at The Dana on Mission Bay... They have shuttle service to all the main places and it looks like a really gorgeous place to stay! They have some specials including breakfast if you go to their website. I will try to update when they get back at the end of Jan.
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Familiar Face

Manya- Thanks for the information, looking forward to the review!
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMisha

Hi to all,

I booked passage for a back to back cruise on the Carnival Spirit Feb 10, and Feb 18. Since I have spent so much money for two great balcony rooms, my worst nightmare is to wait until the morning of the cruise and somehow show up late due to airline cancellation....etc.

I am thinking that I should probably go down the night before and stay at a hotel to be sure I make it.......

Can anyone tell me a very reasonably priced hotel, very close to the dock and has shuttle service from the airport to hotel, and hotel to the dock to board ship.

Thanks for any info........
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Always best to go the night before...you never know where the travel delays will happen and for your peace of mind, you will be very relieved when you are there. www.thebigbay.com is the San Diego Port Authority site and it has a listing of hotels that are close to the port and then I would look at the reviews on Trip Advisor...

If price is your main concern, why not use Priceline once you have a couple of hotels picked out?... just don't buy the hotel until you have your flight!

My passengers checked into the Dana yesterday so I am anxiously awaiting their return near the end of the month. As mentioned before, they listed free shuttle service to many main attractions including The Gaslamp District and the Cruise Terminal.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

They're back!!!!

The Dana is coming HIGHLY recommended by my passengers... they would have stayed the entire vacation there if they would have known how wonderful it was. (their cruise was not the best experience)

The hotel is more of a plantation 'resort' right on the marina and they enjoyed strolling along the 'boardwalk' every evening and the great views. The restaurant was good and the hotel is walking distance from SeaWorld although they offered a shuttle for those with children and things to schlep.

They were very happy with the shuttle service the hotel offered which took them practically everywhere they could imagine around San Diego and they found the city beautiful. The drivers were helpful and friendly.

They said they would go again in a heartbeat... I hope this helps with your plans!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks......

Hi.........I already booked the Holiday Inn right across from the dock. From what I understand, you can walk there if you only have a couple carry on's. I'm satisfied, its just one night. I wanted to make sure I made it to the ship more than anything else which is why I decided to fly down the day before. Its winter up here so you never know about the weather......

Price was not that big a concern....I was more interested in being across from the dock so I was sure to have easy access to the ship the next morning. I ended up with a balcony room facing the dock so I can watch the ship come in next morning.....

BTW, where is the Dana? Is it on the harbor street as well?

thanks for all....

Mikey
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Passenger

never mind......I looked at the link you presented.....thanks.....

Mikey