Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Default Place to stay in Ft. Lauderdale

I'll be driving in from Mississippi to Ft. Lauderdale for an April 19th cruise on the Crown Princess. Doing some research, I'm finding that a lot of places will let me park in their lot for no additional charge, if I stay there one night, but if they DO have a shuttle to the pier, it's drop-off only, and no pick up. Does anyone know of a nice place that drops off AND picks up?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not really sure, but, if you stay around the 17th St. Causeway area,which is right by the port, a cab ride there will be very inexpensive. Just make sure that during your cruise, there are no conventions going on..In my research for an article on Lauderdale I wrote for Cruisemates, I learned that the hotels discontinue this offer, as their lots get filled up.

Hyatt Place, foemerly Amerisuites, Emabssy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Pier 66 and the Bahia Mar are all in this area.....there are many more a bit father away, and the cab ride should still not be that $$......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Beginner

We have stayed at Hyatt Place on 10th, by the 17th street Causeway, several times. They used to be AmeriSuites. They have upgraded all the rooms, and it is very nice. They offer a free shuttle to and from the port. Be sure and sign up when you check-in.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Adjacent to Hyatt Place there is a shopping complex with restaurants, Publix super Market and shops...

When we stayed there, when it was Amerisuites, one issue we had was the lack of rolling baggage carts. Some peopel actually put them in their rooms at night to have them in their rooms ... Ask about this when you check in, and set up a check out time for them to come to you..Hopefully, as a Hyatt, things have changed....

Old March 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Passenger

We stayed at the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht Club and literally walked to the Ruby Princess ... if your suitcase has good secure wheels ... it's a no brainer ... out the front door of the hotel ... along the walkway under the 17th Street Bridge ... show your boarding pass and id to the guard at the gate (after 12 noon only) ... and five minutes later your in the line to board ... so easy!

PS We are going on the Carnival Freedom September and are staying there again $109 per night and it's a 5* hotel ... book via priceline.com for the beat deals ...

Hope this helps you out ... also you can walk to the drugstore just up 17th street for room snacks / mix / pop ... whatever ... and can even pick up boxed wine to throw in your suitcase for onboard the ship ... hint, hint ...
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Maybe if you are young, strong, and used to walking, and have the desire to schlep........otherwise call a cab..

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
First Mate

I used Valutrips to book our hotel in FLL- they have some good rates.
Hope it is OK to post that.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Passenger

I walked fropm the airport to the cruise port in San Diego. After all, the ship was just over there. 3 hours later, I arrived. tTook a week to recuperate. Sat on my rear, drank my ties.....
Old December 27th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Captain

We stayed at the Laquinta inn in Hollywood, FL on our recent cruise out of Port Everglades. Very nice hotel. rate was around $75.00 per night. We was able to park our car there for the whole 10 days we were on the cruise, free of charge. Laquinta drops you off at the pier but you must find your own way back. We got a cab, fare was 25.00 and we didn't have to wait around for anyone.

With what i saved on parking fee's, $150.00, i was able to pay for the hotel and the cab ride and still fill my gas tank before leaving town. I will absolutely stay there anytime we cruise out of FFL.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15