Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default Boston hotel pre cruise

We are cruising from Boston in Sept and want to stay 2 nights pre cruise. We are looking at Renaissance Boston Waterfront. Does anyone have an opinion on this one or a better suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
First Mate

As a suggestion, you might want to look at the Marriott at Copley Square. It's in an area called Back Bay, is adjacent to the Prudential Center, and Newberry Street which is sort of like a Soho area.

Boston is a very walkable city. From the Marriott above, it's maybe a 30-45 minute leisurely walk to Quincy Market and Fanuel (sp?) Hall, an area of shops and restaurants. From there it's a short walk to the North End and all the Italian restuarants and shops.

Go on the Marriott site and take a look. The hotel itself is gorgeous. We have stayed there several times over the years. If you get a high floor, the views are great in any direction. Last time we were there, we were able to see the pier where the cruise ships dock...and the planes at Logan airport.

There is also a Weston across the street from the Marriott, and you may want to look at that as well.

Just be sure to make your reservations early, as all the colleges come back in early September, and rooms can be scarce.

I know we have some other Cruisemates who are familiar with Boston and the lodging, and perhaps they will chime in as well.

Sid1962
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you Sid1962. Sorry it took so long to post a thank you. Had a health crisis with our dog and we eventually had to put her to sleep. Cruise plans were put on hold but are now back on track. The Marriott sounds great since we also want to take a tour and it looks like most of them pick up at or near that hotel. Thanks again!
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
First Mate

You are most welcome. I am sorry to hear about your dog.

Another thought occured to me, since you mentioned tours. Google Duck Tours and Boston. The Duck Tours are fantastic, but you need to book early as they sell out quickly. They too leave from near the Prudential Center.

If you can, try and see the USS Constitution. It's located in Charleston, across the river from Boston proper. It is quite a sight.

Hopefully the weather will be in your favor and you can walk around a lot. As I said, it's a very walk-friendly city.

Enjoy......

Sid1962
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Default Boston

Having just yesterday re-visited the Seaport area of Boston I can honestly say there are two or three new hotels, but not much to see around there and I would definetely find a place in Copley Square. Yes,sign up ahead of time for the Duck Tour..As a native Bostonian I was thrilled with my first Duck Tour a few years ago..finding out information I never knew about the Charles River.. You don't stop at the Constitution directly, but from the Copley Area y ou can find your way there.. Also there is a greater choice of restaurants. .. our favorite seafood restaurant being Skipjacks for jazz brunch and seafood on a Sunday morning. I don't remember what time of the year y our coming to Boston...Boston is as we like to say a walkable city..you can walk and see the famous Cheers, walk to Quincy Market, walk to the North End and have a fabulous italian meal in this enclave.. You also have in Copley Square the famous Boston Public Library..and so much more..