CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Hotels (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hotels/)
-   -   Hotel in London (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hotels/382659-hotel-london.html)

Fern May 23rd, 2011 08:27 PM

Hotel in London

Does anyone have any recommendations? Here in the US we like LaQuinta and Hampton. We'd like to be in walking distance of something! We don't mind an older hotel as long as it's CLEAN!

Thanks,

kandajones May 24th, 2011 03:58 PM

Hi Fern, I am not familiar with LaQuinta & Hampton, so cannot make any like for like comparisons, but recommend you try the tripadvisor website
Holiday Reviews - Hotels, Resorts and Holiday Packages - TripAdvisor as this will allow you to search for hotels by are, rating, cost & read customer reviews on them.

Once you have made a choice, try the various online agents to get some great deals. I often use lastminute.com: hotels, holidays, flights, travel and entertainment at the last minute. and have in the past got rooms in the Hilton in London at under 25 per night :o) it was listed as a "Top Secret" hotel, but just reading the write up & checking the location usually makes it quite obvious which hotel the deal relates to.

After the initial search you can narrow the results down by star rating, cost, distance etc.

Good luck & happy hunting,

Alan & Katrina

Fern May 24th, 2011 08:29 PM

Thanks, KandA! I'll save your links :).

kimmicoe May 29th, 2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1372508)
Does anyone have any recommendations? Here in the US we like LaQuinta and Hampton. We'd like to be in walking distance of something! We don't mind an older hotel as long as it's CLEAN!

Thanks,

A great option if looking for a really nice hotel pre or post cruise would be priceline or hotwire. You can stay at some really nice hotels for a fraction of the rack rate price. I always use them and many other cruisers do to. Priceline offers the best discounts due to the fact that you name your own price. I have used both for years and use my extra savings for excursions or items I may purchase on ship.

Give it a try and I'm sure you'll be hooked like me. Feel free to read the following link for more info on Priceline and Hotwire deals.

*edited for commercial content*

Fern December 26th, 2011 09:01 PM

Just reporting back. We decided we'd let Princess book our air and hotel in London and got what we think was a good deal. We stayed at the Grosvenor House (a Marriott hotel). The cost for two nights was reasonable.

The hotel restaurant's were very expensive. We decided to order from the Room Service menu for breakfast. The "door hanger" listed breakfast as 29 pounds. That seemed pretty expensive, but, for two, what the heck! We had no idea it was 29 pounds each! I think that was the most expensive meal we've ever had :) .

So we ended up spending $112.00 US for breakfast :o! Luckily, there was a big bag of pastries that we used that evening and the next day.

The moral of this story is to always confirm the cost of any service at a hotel:)!

andrew121 January 20th, 2012 09:14 AM

Ha! You never know what to expect from a newly visited hotel.
Hope that you enjoyed your trip though

johnthed0g January 20th, 2012 09:58 AM

The Grosvenor is a very expensive hotel, very "posh" too, some years ago my wife & her friend were staying there, they had to do some TV appearance work the next day (a dog thing), beer was about 4 times the price so we didn't bother. they could have had whatever they liked on expenses but all they actually wanted was milkshakes, so they ordered from room service..."one banana & one strawberry milkshake" the guy arrived with a strawberry milkshake & a banana...we always wondered what they thought two women in a hotel room wanted with a banana....

Mike M January 20th, 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1410820)
The Grosvenor is a very expensive hotel, very "posh" too, some years ago my wife & her friend were staying there, they had to do some TV appearance work the next day (a dog thing), beer was about 4 times the price so we didn't bother. they could have had whatever they liked on expenses but all they actually wanted was milkshakes, so they ordered from room service..."one banana & one strawberry milkshake" the guy arrived with a strawberry milkshake & a banana...we always wondered what they thought two women in a hotel room wanted with a banana....

You know we all need our potassium. :)

Take care,
Mike

Kallis000 January 18th, 2014 02:55 AM

Wow, nice sharing, but I need suggestion any body knows about good or nice hotel and bar and club also available there?

Kallis000 January 28th, 2014 01:29 AM

Wow, nice sharing, but I need suggestion any body knows about good or nice hotel and bar and the club also available there?