Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hurricane Watch
Register Forgot Password?

Hurricane Watch Keep up to date on the latest Weather conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Default September 22nd Cruise

Just a general question, we are sailing on our first 9 day cruise from NYC to the Carribean, has anyone been on a long cruise that was diverted because of a hurricane? I just wondered where they would send us.

Thanks in advance,

Joe 8)
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

It really depends what the forecast is for whatever storm may be brewing at the time of your cruise. Too hard to predict ahead of time but that's part of the vacation adventure, yes? .
Angela Z.
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sailing out of NYC there is a good chance you would go to Bermuda. It is still beautiful in September, by the way.

Or it depends on where the hurricane is, howe fast it is moving, and what direction.

The worst experience I heard about last year was a 7-day cruise out of Port Canaveral that was supposed to go to the Eastern Baribbean but couldn't get any further south than Nassau Bahamas. One woman wrote and said she wanted her money back because the ship didn't go to where it promised to go. So I asked her, "would you really want to go to an island that is experiencing a hurricane?"

People who book cruises at these times have to understand that you are payingless because these cruises don't sell as quickly, so you are gambling that you won't be diverted. And in the vast majority of cases you are not diverted. But if you are, the cruise line is not responsible for the weather, they ARE responsible for the ship and safety of the people on board.

So you can't gripe about not going to where the brochure said the ship was going to go. Read your cruise conract!

One Royal Viking cruise in the late 70s started out on A 15-DAY CRUISE from Los Angeles to Tahiti. There was ahuge typhoon and they never made land-fall at all during the entire cruise. They couldn't even reach Hawaii it was so big.

No one got their money back.
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Passenger

Last year I took a cruise to the Western Caribbean in November. We chose that month because it is past the height of hurricane season.
We ended up being chased around by a tropical storm (forget the name, one of the Greek letters) which changed our itinerary.
We skipped Ocho Rios, got to another port (I think Grand Cayman) a day earlier as I recall, and then made up for missing Ocho by going to Freeport.
We ran into bad conditions twice on the trip, mostly at night when the ship would really rock and roll.

Like Paul said in the previous post, the cruise line can't guarantee the itinerary because the safety of passengers and the ship are more important. So be aware that you could have some "weather" issues.

September is the height of hurricane season.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Hi
Last Oct. our ship was supposed to go to the Western Caribbean and it went East instead. That was the second week in a row that a West had been changed to an East because of the weather. We have friends who were on a "back to back" cruise on this ship. They were supposed to have gone West the first week but got diverted. They didn't know about Hurricane Wilma until on their way back up from St. Thomas. Guess what, the second week, we started for the West, and got diverted to San Juan and then Southeast because of Wilma and "developing Alpha"--so they went right back down where they'd just come from. But you know, it's the journey,not the destination. This couple with whom we still correspond, made friends on that first cruise and a group of us are still corresponding from the second week's cruise for them.
In 2004, we were on the Caribbean Princess which was supposed to go East, but got diverted West because the ship was assigned to take hurricane relief supplies to Grand Cayman. Plus, Hurricane Jeanne was down East "somewhere". We completely forgot about it until mid week when we noticed on CNN that Jeanne was turning around and coming back. We were on our way to Nassau--but the waters were too rough. The Capt was going to try to beat the storm back into port on Friday, but at 5:30 that night, the Port had been closed and we were "advised to stay out for an additional 48 hours". We and several other ships sailed back and forth down by Cuba and got back in on the Monday morning.

I think you can have fun wherever you go--it's the fun of just being on the ship! Now, our cruise this year is scheduled for November 24, the day after Thanksgiving! With the odds of the last couple of years, there's still the possibility of running into a storm in the Southern Caribbean. If something does develop, then we'll just go in a different direction!!

Take care!! Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Thank you for all of your imput, I guess my question was since our cruise was originating in NYC would they let us go down to thw Carribean or send us on a 9 day cruise to Canada?

Thanks,

Joe
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Joe:

Depending on where the storm is they can send you north to Canada. There was a cruise several years ago that was supposed to sail from Boston to Bermuda and ended up going to Canada instead. A lot of people were very unhappy.

Darcy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Admiral

I've been on several cruises that were diverted due to hurricanes. I always figured if the cruise line's top priority was to keep me safe, I'm not unhappy, whatever happens. Disappointed sometimes, but still okay with it.
The only one that was a tad wierd was a Mexican reiviera cruise that missed the last port. There was not a safe alternative port, so they showed a movie in the big theatre..."Titanic"!.
Marty
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
The only one that was a tad wierd was a Mexican reiviera cruise that missed the last port. There was not a safe alternative port, so they showed a movie in the big theatre..."Titanic"!.
Marty
That is too funny!
Old July 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

If you are going to Bermuda & since there is no place else to go, the ship will get diverted to Canada. You'll probably hit Maine as well as a port stopover.

The Caribbean is too far south to get there & back in 7 days (most are 9 days down South) plus you would not head South if a Hurricane is heading North. Rule #1 for any cruise line is the safety of the passengers, the crew & the ship. No if's, but's or maybe's. And its written in the ship guidelines that they can change course for any reason.

So...if it was me going? I'd plan my excursions for Bermuda HOWEVER, in the off chance, we have to go to Canada, I would glance at their listings of excursions for Canada as well. Just in case....always helps to have a plan B.