Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hurricane Watch
Register Forgot Password?

Hurricane Watch Keep up to date on the latest Weather conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Tropical Storm Chris heading for Leeward Islands

From CNN.com

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Tropical Storm Chris, the third named storm of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season, developed early Tuesday near the Leeward Islands, forecasters at the National Hurricane Center said.

A tropical storm warning was posted for the islands of Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, St. Kitts, Nevis, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Barthelemy and St. Martin.

A tropical storm watch was issued for Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.

At 8 a.m. ET, Chris was centered about 135 miles east of Antigua and about 1,450 miles east-southeast of Miami. It was moving west-northwest near 9 mph, forecasters said.

Its maximum sustained winds were near 40 mph, just above the threshold for a tropical storm, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The storm was on track to pass over or near the northernmost Leeward Islands by early Wednesday, according to the hurricane center.

The first named storm of the 2006 season, Tropical Storm Alberto, swept over Florida in mid-June, then plowed northward along the coast past the Outer Banks. It was blamed for one drowning.

Massachusetts was spared the worst of Tropical Storm Beryl at the end of June when the storm left high surfs but minimal damage before heading toward Nova Scotia. The bulk of the rain fell over the ocean well east of the island.
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to omaits

Wow, that sucks. I am leaving on a western carribean cruise on Aug 6th from Miami. Any chance this will affect my trip...or is this fairly common?
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

It could very well. If you look at the track on www.nhc.noaa.gov (click on "Warnings and 5 day cone") - there's a very high probability that Miami will be in it's path. In fact, 8am Sunday has the estimated position right off of Andros Island in the Bahamas, which is just around 100 miles from Miami.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything (no pun intended), but I would keep an eye on this one. It doesn't look like it is supposed to intensify into a hurricane, but you never know, especially with the crazy weather on and off of the east coast right now.
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to omaits

I am really glad I got the insurance now. If it is cancelled (or whatever they call it), I will just schedule a cruise for winter and pocket the other half of the money.
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Your cruise might not be cancelled, if its not, expect maybe a different itinerary. Like Western cruise instead of Eastern, Southern cruise instead of Western, etc.

They just said its expected to strengthen.
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
Yeoman

Most of the computer models I have seen show it heading toward Mexico.
Only 2 show it brushing the tip of Florida and heading into the Gulf.

If that's the case, your Western Caribbean could become an Eastern Caribbean!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Beginner

Hey guys,
I live in Vero Beach, essentially ground zero for three hurricanes in 2004 and 2005. Believe me these suckers (at this distance) are very unpredictable, don't worry yet. They can do a 360 degree turn like Hurricane Jeanne did in 2004, went by us on the FL SE coast, did a complete turnaround way out in the Atlantic then came back to hit us nearly straight on---- Or like Floyd I think (in 1995 or so and ginourmous size) was a near Cat 4, heading straight for us, slipped by and slammed the Carolinas. Most ships can go around the worst, and I am particularly optimistic as I as leaving from Fort Lauderdale Sat. eve on Enchanment of the Seas for my only vacay of the year. Think postiive folks!
Glass