CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Hurricane Watch (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hurricane-watch/)
-   -   When is Hurricane Season (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hurricane-watch/332273-when-hurricane-season.html)

SIMark April 25th, 2007 11:44 AM

When is Hurricane Season

Forgive what may sound like an easy question to be answered, nut just when is Hurricane Season for the Atlantic (Bermuda/Bahamas) and Caribean destinations?

My family and I are discussing a cruise for next year and I am trying figure out when NOT to go.

Thanks,

Mark

Tink April 25th, 2007 07:41 PM

It's June 1st through November. I'm in the same boat so to speak. We have a cruise booked on Carnival at the end of August (which we got a GREAT price on), however, we too are nervous. I've read most hurricanes occur in August and Sept.

Cassandra April 26th, 2007 09:23 AM

Correct on the time period & the highest months. I use to work for an insurance company doing boat insurance. I would LOVE to know how much the cruise lines insurance policies are for the ship alone. I'm assuming they go through Lloyds of London - they insure our U.S. Military ships.

Starts June 1st, goes through end of November. Highest months are July - October actually with September being the "height" of the season.

Also have to take into effect & I'm surprised people really don't pay any attention to this - El Nino or La Nina.

Both affect the weather in the Caribbean depending if its El Nino or La Nina. Last year we had no hurricanes in the Atlantic. The year before we got hammered.

seadog2 April 26th, 2007 06:37 PM

It's kind of hard to miss the hurricane season when you're talking about cruising. Cruising before June you run into spring break which is mad crazy and expensive. Cruising after Nov. you run into the Holiday season which can be expensive. DW and I usually go between Sept. and Nov. prices are much cheeper. If a hurricane is out there the Captain steers the ship around it. Sometimes it's necessary for the Itinerary to be changed also. It helps to be flexable when cruising during that time. Pick yourself a nice cruise and go for it.

Fruitcake May 9th, 2007 12:29 PM

September is the peak of the season.
We will only book in Nov. or early Dec.

HAL takes its ships out of the Caribbean in April now ... they return sometime in Oct.

travelgirl5670 May 9th, 2007 03:55 PM

I have a friend who will only cruise in October. She has taken several cruises and only once did the ship have to go off course to avoid a storm. I am booked on 10-13-07 on the Liberty and had concerns about weather. After talking in detail with her, I am fine. The one time that her cruise was diverted, the sun was shining every day and they had a great time. She said that it was kind of fun not knowing where they would be when they woke up in the morning! She told us to go and have fun and not worry about it! So, that is what we are going to do! I am looking forward to October....

Fruitcake May 11th, 2007 05:10 PM

Actually, we cruise in Nov. 2005 and ran into a tropical storm -- TWICE.
Our itinerary was changed as we tried to outrun it, but somehow it turned and smacked us a second time.
Huge waves that really rocked the ship.

It can happen even in November!

I'm not concerned so much about being on a cruise during a hurricane -- knowing the ship acn change course, etc.
I'm more concerned about having my plans change pre-cruise due to a hurricane; leaving my home during the peak of hurricane season; and returning to port after a hurricane.

Pre-hurricane, ports close down. Ships stay out at sea.
Post-hurricane, you could end up returning to Fla. at a different port.