Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hurricane Watch
Register Forgot Password?

Hurricane Watch Keep up to date on the latest Weather conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising in October....

We are booked on the Liberty on the 10-13-07 sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. I am VERY NERVOUS about the weather and the predictions that people have for this hurricane season. I knew going into this and I have friends that ONLY sail in September and October and have NEVER been diverted, so we said "what the heck". Now, I sit and worry. I know that noone can truly predict what the outcome will be but I guess I would appreciate anything that anybody has to say at this point! Also, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are also booked on the same cruise and she refuses to purchase trip insurance! I tried...I have my insurance so we're covered!
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:06 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I would not be too worried. Unless a hurricane is directly aiming for your port of departure, your cruise will go on. You may have a completely different itinerary than originally planned if there is a storm in your path, but the Captain will avoid the storms completely.......they don't want to put their passengers, crew and their very expensive ship in harm's way. October is past peak but still can produce some storms.

If you want to take some comfort from the recent predictions of a busy storm season, just take a look at the forecasts for last year and how far off they really were. It was supposed to be, according to the experts, a repeat of 2005 and Katrina and Wilma and Rita.........and it was one of the quietest years in recent history.

Anyway, I would really encourage you to try to get your relatives to purchase insurance.......you never know what will happen and I say if you can't afford to lose that amount of money without feeling the pinch, the fork over the minimal amount and buy the protection.
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Thank you....I feel somewhat better. And yes, I am still going to try to convince my sister in law to purchase trip insurance. You never know..... Well, I guess that we will go an hope for the best! Just hoping for sunshine and decent weather. I did read somewhere that even if the weather isn't the greatest in the Western Caribbean or Bahamas, the Eastern Caribbean is usually nice. It said that you can't base the weather in the Eastern Caribbean on what you hear about the other areas. I am hoping that may be the case and the sun will be shining. Thanks again for your reply. I feel better!
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Admiral

I agree not to worry. October is usually not that active re. hurricanes. We often cruise in Sept or Oct. and love it. And, as was said, the captain will get you out of harm's way...they really hate losing passengers!
FYI, we live a few blocks from the ocean and are always on high alert for hurricanes. We start relaxing around end of Sept.
Marty
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Default We Have Huricane Experience

Your post reminded me of what could have been a bad memory, but instead is one of my fondest cruise experiences. In 1999, my wife and I, along with our boys 11 & 8 yrs old, booked a 3-day cruise from Miami for our wedding anniverary in October. At that time I was working a regular day job and also owned & operated a Karate school until 10:00pm each night. We were scheduled to fly from Atlanta to Miami on Friday the morning of the cruise, departing around 6:00am.

I arrived home around 10:30pm the night before to find out that the airline had called saying that our flight had cancelled due to the path of Huricane Irene. We called Carnival to ask if the cruise would be cancelled, only to here "It is only a category 1 huricane, and that will not stop the ship from sailing." We too had not purchased insurance so after calling all the airlines to no availe, we loaded our car and left Atlanta, GA about midnight heading for Miami. We arrived in Miami around 1:00pm the next day just as the heavy downpours began. We were held in the terminal till about 4:00pm when they finnally let us board. Once onboard the ship the outside doors were locked down, but that didn't bother me much, cause by this time I was a walking zombie anyway. The ship was held at port till the next morning and it finnally left about 7:00am on Saturday.

Now for the good part. Though most of the entertainment as well as about half the passengers missed the ship due to the cancelation of flights, the crew of the Ecstacy were great at making the best of a tough situation.

I could go on for a while, but all in all, it turned out to be one of very best memories that we have of the nine cruises we've been on so far.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Admiral

We too had an amazing experience on Carnival from a hurricane. We used to book it because it was cheap enough even during some of our lean years. But, when we saw how far they went overboard (so to speak) to keep us safe and happy, too, we became true Carnival fans.
Marty
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Yeoman

September is the peak of hurricane season.

That being said, there are still hurricanes in October and November. But those are the months I choose to sail.

You are smart to have travel insurance. Your in-laws should get themselves some too.

Don't waste time worrying about things you cannot control. Instead, devote your energy to planning your trip and researching the various ports you'll visit.
Think positive!
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Beginner

Thank you all so very much for your replies. I've decided that it is much more fun to be excited about a vacation then to sit and worry about it! I am glad to hear from a few of you that October tends to be less active as far as the hurricanes go. I feel better after talking about this. Now, I can start planning excursions. Still deciding however whether to book them directly with Carnival or do it on our own upon arrival at the ports. I know that cost is much higher when booking thru the cruise line, but maybe it is worth it.

Steve...sounds like an interesting vacation experience! It's great that you took it in stride and went ahead even after the airline cancelled the flight! You are a very brave man! I would have been so stressed at that point, I'm not sure what I would have done, especially without trip insurance! Glad the cruise was a memorable one for you and one of your best!

I'm still working on the in-laws as far as trip insurance goes. My husband keeps telling me that I should stop pushing the issue. He tells me that I will hear about it if they end up not having to use the insurance. Better it be that way (which I hope it would be) then come down to having wished they had purchased it in the even of a cancellation or trip interruption. I an going to try one more time before our final payment for the cruise is due in the early part of July. Maybe I'll send them to this site so that they can hear what OTHER people have to say!

Again, thanks everyone for helping to ease my mind! No more worries.....
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Beginner

Oh, by the way, my wife and I are booked for October again. We are doing the Triumph, just hope our flight doesn't cancel this time, still no travel insurance.
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Beginner

Steve...what itinerary are you doing in October?
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Beginner

We are doing the Eastern Carribean out of Miami, leaving on October 13th. We go to Halfmoon Cay, Puetro Rico, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. We're really looking forward to it, the only time we've been to the Eastern Carribean was to Punta Cana on a land vacation. We also got a great deal on air fair through Spirit Air, when my wife was on the phone booking our cruise there was an ad on TV stating that one way flights were as low as $24 on that particular day. Well Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale was a little more, $48 each way. That was grrrreat!!!
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Steve...it's a coincidence that our ships both sail on October 13th! However, we are on the Liberty out of Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. Your itinerary also is one that I would like to do some day. I would like to see Half Moon Cay! Also, great deal on airfare...you really can't beat that fare!