Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hurricane Watch
Register Forgot Password?

Hurricane Watch Keep up to date on the latest Weather conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Captain

Default Hurricane season cruising?

I was fascinated by a thread in which the person reported they were given a fantastic cruise price from Disney because ship was delayed by a hurricane. Now I don't know that I advocate looking to cruise during the hurricane season to get a great cruise fare, but what is considered to be the hurricane season and is the hurricane area anything north of Aruba?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

June 1 to November 30. We're right in the middle of it. Hurricanes start off the coast of Africa and can hit land anywhere from northern South America all the way up to Nova Scotia.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Only once were we effected by a hurricane at sea..we refueled and missed a port to stay out of harms way...we were able to get back to Florida, a day before it hit. I loved getting "hurricane" pricing!

I think Aruba escapes huricanes for the most part...we were the first ship back into port in St Thomas, after the double whammy years ago, from Luis and Marilyn...shocking damage! The shops welcomed us with open arms and great prices.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Hurricane pricing is very good. DW and I have sailed many times during this time. We've sailed during hurricane Charlie, Andrew and Anita and a couple of more. Plenty of high winds and lightning with some rain. The ship will sail around or in front of the hurricane. The only incident we've ever had was when we were on the Allure we had to sail along the outer bands of the hurricane. It was a sea day and about 2 in the afternoon. It went from sunny and hot to this really thick dark cloud and wind and rain. The captain came across the loud speaker and ordered, "clear all the outer decks". DW and I cleared the deck and watched it from our balcony. Scary but kinda' cool. Hurricane season is a really good time to cruise. The price is right.
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:44 PM
Captain

Default Sounds like fun and economical

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
Hurricane pricing is very good. DW and I have sailed many times during this time. We've sailed during hurricane Charlie, Andrew and Anita and a couple of more. Plenty of high winds and lightning with some rain. The ship will sail around or in front of the hurricane. The only incident we've ever had was when we were on the Allure we had to sail along the outer bands of the hurricane. It was a sea day and about 2 in the afternoon. It went from sunny and hot to this really thick dark cloud and wind and rain. The captain came across the loud speaker and ordered, "clear all the outer decks". DW and I cleared the deck and watched it from our balcony. Scary but kinda' cool. Hurricane season is a really good time to cruise. The price is right.
I have sailed out of Baltimore and we encountered conditions similar to those described above. In my mind it was a great adventure and added to otherwise
dull and boring sea days.
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM
First Mate

And let's not forget the hurricane season also affects the Pacific and cruises which go down to Cabo and Mexican ports from there south all the way to Alcapulco.

We are scheduled to cruise the Hawaiian Islands on 8-16 and have been watching the hurricane coverage for Iselle and Julio with interest. 2 hurricanes back to back. Wow. So far our POA ship on this week's cruise is missing the second day in Kauai today, but otherwise unaffected. She is due back in Honolulu tomorrow with next week's cruise scheduled to depart Sat evening as scheduled. Hopefully that will be it for the season, and we will be in good shape for ours cruise the following week.
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Captain

Default How was the cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
And let's not forget the hurricane season also affects the Pacific and cruises which go down to Cabo and Mexican ports from there south all the way to Alcapulco.

We are scheduled to cruise the Hawaiian Islands on 8-16 and have been watching the hurricane coverage for Iselle and Julio with interest. 2 hurricanes back to back. Wow. So far our POA ship on this week's cruise is missing the second day in Kauai today, but otherwise unaffected. She is due back in Honolulu tomorrow with next week's cruise scheduled to depart Sat evening as scheduled. Hopefully that will be it for the season, and we will be in good shape for ours cruise the following week.
How did your cruise go? Did hurrriicanes affect your cruise? Did you have any trouble boarding ship?
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Admiral

We found out about Pacific hurricanes first hand back in 2009, Rita maybe. Our captain changed the itinerary and missed most of the effects of the storm. When we arrived in PV there was another ship that had stuck to there schedule. They had sat in port the day before and just got hammered, they stayed in PV the next morning so the pax could get around a little.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I have sailed out of Baltimore and we encountered conditions similar to those described above. In my mind it was a great adventure and added to otherwise
dull and boring sea days.

I have never had a dull or boring day on a cruiseship. I have always found plenty of activities to get involve in. And I have made friends with several cruisers from all over the globe.
I prefer to sail in calm waters.

I have sailed thru a Pacific typhoon in a US Navy vessel, and it was no fun. Almost everyone got seasick.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
How did your cruise go? Did hurrriicanes affect your cruise? Did you have any trouble boarding ship?
The cruise which left the week prior to ours on 8-16 was the only cruise affected. The ship was on the Kona side of the big island, Hawaii during the hurricane, and if don't think it even rained there. They did leave port early in Kauai and spent the second day at sea rather than the half day in port. I have not heard reports of rough seas, so not sure how that went.

It was business as usual when we boarded on 8-16. No difficulties and we encountered no rough seas. We took a small group tour in Hawaii out of Hilo and our tour guide lives very near the area which was hardest hit. We drove near there as we made our way to Volcanoes National Park and were able to see many downed trees from the road, and many were still without electricity. I saw a report that the POA had delivered a huge supply of bottled water when they called the week prior.

I am in awe of the huge and very beautiful trees they have in Hawaii. The trees we have here in the states are very small in comparison, even our bigger varieties. And that creates the problem, as they are shallow rooted and topple easily in hurricane winds.

We had fantastic weather, clear and sunny the entire trip. The only rain we got was a sprinkle here and there lasting a few seconds.
Old September 13th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Captain

Default Thanks for update on cruise.

Sounds like you had a great cruise despite the hurricane in the area. Good insights on the damage done by the storm.