Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2001, 12:11 AM
RollerDoc

Default On-board diarhea

A few months ago, my wife and I took a cruise to Mexico. Everything was fine until after eating a couple of beany type meals on the mainland. While we all get diarhea every now and then, Mexican diarhea takes the cake. My butt exploded worse than the streets of Beirut. My question is why aren't the cruise ship medical areas better equipped to handle people who suffer from the same consequenses as myself? Immodium (Extra Strength) didn't make a dent. I paid $2100 for the cruise and all the doctor on board told me to do was to drink Schwepps Ginger Ale. Gee thanks Doc! Needless to say my trip was ruined and so were several pair of underwear. Can anyone offer me some advice?

RollerDoc
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2001, 02:08 AM
thecruiseguy

Default Re: On-board diarhea

Yes, I have some very good advice. When in Mexico DO NOT EAT THE FOOD OR DRINK THE WATER. There will be people who disagree about the food but it only takes one taco or 1 bean to ruin your whole trip. Some folks say the food is okay if its washed, untrue, its still washed in THEIR water. Also beware of mixed drinks with ICE CUBES, again, unless in a very fine hotel, its the same water.

Hope the beans were good, it was a very expensive meal.
Old September 9th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Admiral

RollerDoc,

"Thecruiseguy" is absolutely right. In Mexico, the basic rule is never to eat or to drink anything that's

>> made with the local water,

>> washed in the local water,

>> cooled by ice made from local water,

>> reconstituted from concentrate with local water, or

>> served on dishes or with utinsils that are washed in the local water

unless you know from an independent source that the establishment has purifited water. If you follow this rule, you won't have a problem with diarhea. (The resorts that cater specifically to tourists are, of course, okay.)

Norm.
Old November 26th, 2001, 06:03 PM
ehogan

This is why traveling to Mexico via cruise ship is perfect if you limit yourself to ship food. You can enjoy the ports with a few sandwiches from the ship.

P.S. We went to a resort in Manzanillo in Feb. and I was sick from the second day on, so much for that. Immodium saved my life but I doubt I will visit Mexico any way but by cruise ship again. Do you know that they inject the watermelons with local water, so "if you can peel it, you can eat it" doesn't apply.