Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan

Hello!

This is going to be our first cruise ever and those are the ports we are going to. We'd love any advice about where to go and what to do and where to not go. I am mostly interested in sight seeing and shopping, he's interested in the beaches. Any advice would be more than great!

thanks!
charlene
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2001, 12:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan

Hi!
I would like to know the same, some coworkers and I are going on our first cruise on the RCI vision of the seas in November. Only 50 more days!!!
Kinda worried about any boating excurions in Cabo, but have heard to go horseback riding in Puerto Vallarta.
Happy cruising!
Kathy
Old October 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Hola!

There is a lot of information around here on these boards about Mexico. But, if I were you, I would also invest in a Fodor's guide to Mexico. It is a great way to get information about Cabo, PV and Mazatlan....and, it includes shopping, sites to see, getting around, some history, helpful tips, and more. Mine cost me about 20-bucks last year. I know there are other great guides out there. It's just my favorite. Enjoy your trip! Mexico can be a blast!

justjohn
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lindsay

Someone mentioned to do the horseback riding in Puerto Vallarta. WRONG! You simply MUST save this for Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. She is the BEST! You will not regret it if you sign up for her excursion. And, the garlic shrimp at Victor's on Stone Island is to DIE for! When I'm in PV I simply hang out at the Krystal Vallarta by the pool and beach all day. Within walking distance from the ship and their pool is wonderful!
Old October 23rd, 2001, 02:37 PM
justjohn

Charlene...

I gotta second Lindsay, Victor's on the beach at Stone Island in Mazatlan is an awesome place! Victor, and his wife Alma, are wonderful folks. (you'll make extra points with them if you bring a toy truck or a ball for their son, Victor, too...)

Also, John was right, a Fodor's is a must. Get one covering Mexico and you'll learn a lot more about each of the ports you'll be visiting.

Puerto Vallarta's shopping is all around the Cathedral. You can't miss it because downtown PV is right on the beach. There are lots of resturants and bars too..One of the areas for shopping in Mazatlan's is in the Zona Dorada..."Golden Zone"...which is on the north side of town, just north of the white "castle" looking building, perched on the rocks at the beach. If beaching it is your thing in Mazatlan, have your cab take you to Joe's Oyster Bar...the beach there is the best in town, and the oysters are great! They harvest them right off shore. You can relax on the beach, play volleyball in the sand...and, for a 10-dollar tip, the dj will crank up what ever you want to hear...and, if you want, he'll play it really loud!

Swimming in PV isn't so great. There are lots of rocks in the water from dredging after storms washed away much of the beach...and, PV still pumps raw sewage into the ocean...yuk! PV has a really cool market, downtown...where you'll find everything, even pig's heads for sale...no kidding!

I don't know when you get to Mazatlan, but, if it is on Sunday, check and see if there is a bull fight scheduled. I know, it's gross...but, it's a true part of their culture. And, yes...the bull always loses...

Cabs are everywhere...and, we use buses a lot. (just make sure you are on the right one...lol)

Enjoy your trip.

justjohn
Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Diana

I was not impressed with the beaches in PV, however, the beach in Mismaloya at the Hotel La Jolla de Mismaloya is beautiful and clean. Any cab driver can get you there for $7.00. It's just a 15 minute drive from downtown PV.