Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Default How much is taxi from Progresso to Chichen Itza?

My wife and I will be on a cruise (Carnival Pride) in June 2002 which stops in Progresso, Mexico. The Pride will be in port from 7:30 am - 3:00 pm.

We would like to see the ruins of Chichen Itza. I have read postings that claim the ride from Progresso to Chichen Itza is between 1-2 hours. This is pretty vague - can anyone else provide input on the travel time? Is it closer to 1 or 2 hours each way?

The main reason that I am posting is because my wife and I were considering hiring a taxi to take us to Chichen Itza and walking around ourselves and then heading back to the ship. I hear that there is no decent snorkeling at the beach next to the pier, so we may possibly do some shopping in Progresso, but it appears that the shopping is below average.

I have read that the water is so shallow at this port that they have built a pier that extends 4 miles into the Gulf of Mexico and therefore it costs $5 per person just to get from to the end of the pier. Is this true?

How much would it cost 2 people to take a taxi from wherever the Pride would dock to Chichen Itza and back? I am trying to see if it is significantly cheaper than the ship-arranged tour. I assume that it is, but I am looking for specific prices that other travelers have encountered in the last year.

Thank you in advance,
Dave a.k.a. snorkelman

dmiklas@prodigy.net
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: How much is taxi from Progresso to Chichen Itz

We will be on the Pride 2/2/02, will let you know when we return what we found. We want to get a taxi and go to Uxmal for the day. We have been to Chichen Itza before and really enjoyed it. They have a really neat shopping area there. We expect to spend about $100 for the taxi for the day, but that sure beats the money they want from the cruise line. I hear the pier is 4 miles long and it costs $5.00 just to get to the end of it. If you hear anything else about this trip let me know.
Happy Sailing
Vicki
Old January 6th, 2002, 08:33 PM
hdawson

Have read the Celebrity provides a shuttle from the ship to the town square at no charge. Will know in 3 1/2 weeks while on Horizon.
Old January 13th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Admiral

Hi, Dave ...

At least on Celebrity, there is no charge for the bus from the pier to the pretty little town square. From there, taxis are flat-feed and rather expensive.

There is no shopping of the tourist type in Progreso, nor in Merida except for a couple of places. But Merida is a beautiful city.

Unless you have a good working knowledge of elementary Spanish, I don't recommend freelancing. For some strange reason, taxis in that area (and most of Mexico) don't have air conditioning. The Celeb ShoreX to Chichen Itza was $98. I would judge the travel time to be about two hours each way. It's an eight-hour tour so, given your time in port, it would be a squeeze. If you are on a ShoreX the ship won't leave without you.

I can tell you that a taxi to Merida (about half an hour) is $30 one-way. We negotiated a better deal ($18) coming back.

Let me know if I can add anything.

pamda -- CruiseMatese First Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Take the arranged tour if you want to do Chichen Itza. It's a haul -- Celeb shoreX book describes trip as 2hr 15min each way through countryside. As Pamda mentioned, if delay occurs on arranged shoreX, you should be okay. If you're solo and something happens, you may be SOL. Also, the arranged shoreX is likely to have a guide to describe/explain along the way and what you can expect to see. We only went to Chichen Itza once, a number of years ago from Cancun. It was definitely worth the trip, and the countryside was interesting. We lucked out with a low key, articulate guide who did some running commentary but also came around the bus for sidebar questions. In that case, the guide really added to the excursion. May we always be so lucky!!
Old January 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Sherry Hargis

Question for Pamda. What did you do while you were in Merida and how long did you stay there? Was it difficult finding a taxi back to Progreso? Thanks for your help!!!
Old January 18th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Hi, Sherry ,,,

There should be a feature story up next week on the HOME page that will tell all.

No problem getting a taxi back. The "cab stand" is next to the cathedral.

pamda