Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Default Mexican Riviera Questions??

I have a few questions. Hope anyone can help me. We are planning a cruise with Carnival from Los Angeles . First question is how far from the airport is the docks(terminal)? Any recomendations on hotels? We are a big group and are looking to find some excursions before we get there. We like to do the Beach things. Not diving or snorkeling but we like to swim and relax on beaches. I appreciate any help I can get. i guess I am group leader and need the info to let everyone else know. thanks so much..... Char
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Mexican Riviera Questions??

It is about 30 miles from the airport to the terminal in San Pedro. For Carnival the transfer is $15 each way on the bus. If you are a large group, check into other transfer possibilities. You may even check into a limo ride to the dock.
You might check out the resort packages for excursions. You get the use of the beach and resort. I heard in Puerto Vallarta that the Crystal Hotel and Resort, charges a small fee to use their facility and it is only 2 blocks from the terminal.
Have fun and happy sailing.
Old June 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Questions??

Hi, Thanks so much for the info..... That sounds like some good advise. Appreciate it. Now to find a hotel that is near the airport. Thanks Char
Old June 19th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Questions??

Char, check on Mapquest ... I think they point out nearby hotels to the terminal.

Also, be sure and pick up a Fodors Guide to Mexico...they point out the hotels where you can use the facilities, etc. (We did a great walking tour of Puerto Vallarta, and followed the directions in the guide)

Hope that helps, too ... I pointed out some port things to do in my review of the Sea Princess, so look it up on the member review area.

Harry Martin
Old June 23rd, 2002, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Hi
My husband and I are going on Carnival cruise to the Riviera on July 21-28th on the Elation. I have read over 300 reviews and spent 30+ hours researching the shore excursions.

From what have read there are several beach things available either with the ship or on your own, most have said that you can save between 50% -25% by doing it on your own. But it is really what ever you prefer. The pro's of taking a ships tour is that your garenteed to make it back to the ship on time and it is conveinent. The pro's to doing it on your own is that it is cheaper and usually less crowded when you go it on your own and you can stay asl long as you like, but your responcible to watch the time and make it back to the ship.

Puerto Vallarta

with the ship:
Mayan( beach Party)
4 hours
$15 for adults $7.50 child( under 12)
This is a visit to the Paradise Village resort with a huge pool and water slides and water activiites. Para sailing jet skiing and boogie boarding. you can look at pictures of the place if you check out the resort on the internet. just put in Paradise Village Resort Puerto Vallarta and it will take you there.

You can also not book a tour with the ship and just hire a taxi ( around $5 per person in a full taxi) to take you there and it is cheaper and you dont have to leave after 4 hours. you still get to use the resort.

Another place I saw was the Krystal resort which is close to the ship and has many of the same resort style things..pool and stuff. just hire a taxi to take you there.

Las caletas is suppose to be Awesome and relaxing, you just take the ships tour to a semi deserted beach. Big rock formations and clear blue water, white sandy beaches and no beggers.
I havent been able to find out what the price for this is through the ship but
Vallarta Adventures toll free( 1-866-256-2739) there Las Caletas is $70 and you get lunch. They also have a swim with Dolphins thing if you like that kind of thing.

Mazatlan

ships tour
shopping beaches and lunch
6 hours
$39 per person 19.50 per child
cab ride to the Golden Zone for shopping
and see the Papantla fliers who spin to the groundon ropes after asscending a 75 ft pole
then a walk to Los Sabalos Hotel where you get free use of the facilities
Lunch and two free sodas, magaritias or beer
and then a return to the ship via taxi any time you want,

The best way to figure most of this ourt is to just go to the cities on the internet and they will tell you all the things you can do there or go to the Carnival Website and go to the ports of call once you put in the ship name and Mexican Riviera. It has a list of all the available tours and short discription of them no prices though, i had to search those out via all the other reviews and just asking around.

In Cabo we are taking the snorkiling tour so I didnt really look at anything else.

here are a few web sites that might help you
www.mazinfo.com
www.sealetter.com
www.cruisesonly.com (This site has virtual tours of the whole ship) along with
sample menus and ports of call information too!
www.carnival.com
www.epinions.com/trvl-reviews
www.seacruisereview.com

anyway I hope this helps

Happy sailing!
Robin
Old June 23rd, 2002, 02:58 PM
Margie Downey

Thanks so much..we're going on the Grandeur,July 21st....this will be very helpful!!
Old June 27th, 2002, 06:56 AM
donnajo

Why aren't you flying into Long Beach? It's much closer to the pier and cheaper to fly there. We are flying next year to Long Beach at 193 pp round trip from Chicago.
LAX was 241.pp.
The Hotels in Long Beach have free shuttles to the Queen Mary, the Aquarium etc.
We are on the 4/15 sailing of the Sun Princess for 10 days.

Look into it. The pier is only 8 miles from the Long beach airport!

Donna
Old July 5th, 2002, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Hi, thanks so much for that info.... It is very helpful... I didnt realize we could do that.... Great.. Char. any other info u have I am always willing to listen too. Thanks again. Char
Old August 6th, 2002, 09:23 PM
balanceok

We were able to book the San Pedro Sheraton for $45 on Priceline for the end of September. We are told it is near the pier and they have a complimentary shuttle.