Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2002, 08:00 PM
Sailfish

Default Vision: 4 night Baja Itinerary

We are booked on a 4 night Baja cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas this October, and was wondering if anyone had any input on the ports of call: Ensenada, San Diego, Catalina or on the ship.

The Vision is doing this itinerary only for a month or two, before embarking on her 7 night Mexcio itinerary. We got a great price, combined with a Crown & Anchor coupon and leftover port charge litigation coupons. But we're not sure about the itinerary or the ship. Is this a "party" cruise? How does the Vision compare to RCCL's other ships? What kind of weather can we expect in mid-October (for our 15th anniversary)?

Any information is much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Knocknock

Default Re: Vision: 4 night Baja Itinerary

The weather should be beautiful. San Diego is a beautiful city. Try not to miss the Zoo and the entire Balboa Park complex and museums. That will be a very busy day. Catalina is a beautiful island with very good snorkelling. The water could be a bit cold by then. Ensenada is an interestiong fishing village not far south of the California border. It is charming in its own way but is still a border town and is not typical of most Mexican cities. You can walk everywhere and no tours are necessary. Shopping is fun here if you have never been to Mexico.

My guess a short sailing, such as that, will be a younger crowd and quite a bit of partying will be going on. You'll just have to party as well. Happy Anniversary.
Old August 4th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Sailfish

Default Re: Re: Vision: 4 night Baja Itinerary

Thanks for the input. We're looking at going on the bike excursion to Coronado Island while in San Diego, and scuba diving in Catalina. The winery tour in Ensenada sounds interesting, but so does shopping; not sure what we'll do there.

It sounds like there is a lot to do in San Diego. A trip to the Zoo would be fun, but I'm not sure we're up to spending the entire day there. We have friends in San Diego who we also might plan to visit.

It's still a few months away, so I'll be researching our ports of call more extensively. Anyone have any pros and cons regarding this cruise/itinerary? Any hints or must do's/must sees? What about the ship, the Vision of the Seas?

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Vision: 4 night Baja Itinerary

The winery tour should be great. The Valle de Guadalupe is a beautiful area. The vineyards there are very nice. Don't miss "Monte Xanic Vineyards." They have a working relationship with the Rothchilds in France and have a great operation. We visited L.A. Cetto, Pedro Domeq, and Monte Xanic. I hope the winery tour goes there, we did it by car.

There is a very old vineyard, "Sto. Thonas", right in Ensenada that has an interesting tour, but generally poor quality wines. If this is where the tour goes, you can walk there from the pier and I believe the tour and tasting fee is around $10.

Hopefully your tour will include "El Valle de Guadalupe" because this is where virtually all of the best Mexican vineyards are. In this valley, they produce Cabernet, Petit Sirah,
Chardonnay, Chinen Blanc, Colombard, etc, It is a great place
Old August 5th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Beginner

My husband and I took this tour several years ago. If it has not changed, it was a nice excursion. Also, when we went, the tour finished and we still had time for some shopping after. The bus dropped us off in town so we could shop before going back to the ship.

As for the party crowd - they will probably be there! That itenerary does tend to have a lot of young people but it's still a good time!
Old September 26th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Delores

You will enjoy this cruise, but you will decide it's too short. My husband & I went on this same cruise, only on the Viking Serenade. There will be a mix of ages, especially this time of year. We went once in Oct. & once in Nov. As for the Vision, we just went on it 2 weeks ago to Alaska. She is a beautiful ship, maybe not as fancy as the new ones coming out. But there's lots of glass; the food & service were very good. The Centrum area is gorgeous. I think you'll like this cruise & ship.