Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2002, 09:01 AM
lindy

Default progresso once again

I am wondering what is near progresso, taxi ride how far is cancun, the hotels of riveria maya, akumal. What large hotel is nearby, how far Xcaret. How far to tulum is it worth seeing, I am a beach lover, snorkle swim. thankks
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: progresso once again

Hi, Lindy ...

There's not much near Progreso.

Try a GOOGLE.COM search to get a feel for the area.

This might help:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/portsofcall/Progreso.cfm>

Old August 23rd, 2002, 02:21 AM
Ted

Progreso is a small beach town with a few beachfront restaurants and vacations rentals. Your best bet is to go to the colonial capital of Merida (make sure you go downtown and Paseo Montejo). There is a bus that takes you there every 20-30 minutes and I think the trip is about 15 minutes long. Cancun is too far (hours).
Have fun,
Ted
Old August 28th, 2002, 01:26 PM
mariariveratorres

hi,

Have visited the Riviera Maya about 6 times, there are many beautiful places in it including the beach in Akumal were the Clubhouse is, a taxi driver probably can get you there, is private and beautiful, Tulum is beautiful, but a little too far, xcaret is nice if you will be there for a few days, it has many things to see and an underground river that you float through, water is cold. Also they have a small area were fish are fed, so there is a good place for snorkeling, if you rather be more adventurous, probably going to cozumel on the ferry and snorkeling there will be awsome. xel-ha which is a big natural acuarium for snorkeling is very nice as well, but i particularily found the water to be a bit cloudy, probably because of the amount of sunblock even if it isnt allowed. A place I loved on my last trip was cave snorkeling before getting to Tulum, here is a link, that was great! just make sure to bring insect repellent, lots of mosquitoes. Cancun is awsome for shopping and night parties about an hour away from playa del carmen, but worth it. Good steak house in Cancun is

http://dosojos.com/

Have fun
Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:43 AM
KROERT95@AOL.COM

THERE IS NOTHING IN PROGRESSO. STAY ON THE SHIP AND DON'T EAT IN TOWN. HAD SMALL WHITE LARVA-LOOKING BUGS ON CHICKEN TACOS. GO ON A TOUR OF THE NEARBY RUINS, OR JUST REST ON THE SHIP.
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: progresso once again

No reason to stay on the ship. We spent the afternoon at the beach. We didn't eat anything and the only thing we drank was bottled water. Eat before you leave the ship. Just get off the ship and take the little bus into town and spend the day on the beach. Yes, there are peddlers that will hound you. The first time, shake your head no, the second time just ignore them. They will go away.

Its not as bad as these people are making it out to be but it definitely doesn't have as much to offer as other ports. It kinda makes for a relaxing, low key day.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM
ehogan

Just returned from Progresso ( on the Mercury). We went on the tour to Chichen Itza and although the bus ride is 2 hours long each way, the Mayan ruins there were the highlight of our cruise.

Take a shore excursion - the guides were extremely knowledgeable.

This is apparently the last year you will be able to climb "El Castillo" the pyramid shaped ruin, which is the most famous of the Mayan ruins. We climbed up on our hands and knees and I would not advise you to look down on the way up or down (there is a rope you can hang on to if you want. It is extremely steep and high. Once you are at the top, the view is spectaular. This is a must do!

The only negative I would say is the extreme heat. Take lots of bottled water, sunscreen and a hat. We also took washcloths with ice cubes wrapped in them and some atomized Evian.

Everyone who took the shuttle into Progresso said they wish they had stayed on the boat and the beaches are nothing special.

Have fun.