Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2002, 03:03 PM
v

Default Mazatlan beach,shopping resort tour

I am going on a 10 day cruise on the Princess Sun. I have been to the Mexican Riviera several times but have never taken this tour. Is it worth it considering that is is 7 hours or should I go out on my own. Help! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Mazatlan beach,shopping resort tour

Definately do your own tour! We've also been on this itinerary a few times, and although we didn't do this tour, we know other who did and they were very sorry they spent all that time and money. Basically you'll be taken to different "villages" to "shop"!
Hire a driver and you'll get a much better tour for less than half the price.
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:38 AM
v

Default Re: Re: Mazatlan beach,shopping resort tour

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your response. I had been told this by a friend and he suggested I contact this message board to get the viewpoint of others who have taken the excursion. Again...thanks!
Old October 14th, 2002, 01:39 PM
First Mate

Hi- Have done Mazatlan 3 times. On your own is the way to go. We taxi it everywhere. This is an easy place to get around in. Julie
Old October 18th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Wanda

Default Re: Re: Mazatlan beach,shopping resort tour

I spent 2 weeks there and it will be better to go on your own. Make sure you set a price before you get in the taxi and you can do alot by walking around without him waiting for you cause a lot of the shopping is all together. Then maybe get another when you are ready for a little tour other than shopping.
Old October 18th, 2002, 10:19 AM
v

Default Re: Re: Re: Mazatlan beach,shopping resort tour

Thank you so much. I appreciate your recommendations!
Old October 18th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Admiral

v,

The "Shooping, Beach, Lunch, and Show" tour will give you a lot of time on your own to shop and to enjoy lunch and swimming at a beach resort, plus you get to see the "Pampatla Fliers" in a very good show. We also learned that the beach at Mazatlan is a scene where many beach vendors harass sunbathers pretty continuously, so we decided to swim in the resort's pool rather than in the ocean. The vendors are not allowed in the resort area, so we had a peaceful afternoon. The return from the resort to the ship is at your leisure (by taxi, but included in the price of the tour), so you have the flexibility to stay at the resort for as long as you wish.

I should mention that some of the best shopping in Mazatlan is in a permanent "flea market" located right near the entrance to the pier area. Mexican authorities set up "flea markets" in the tourist areas and offered booths to all of the street vendors as a way to get the street vendors off of the streets, where they were "ganging up" on tourists and thus driving tourists away. The vendors are still a little aggressive, but you are dealing with only one at a time. You also can bargain with them.

Norm.
Old October 19th, 2002, 12:41 AM
First Mate

v,
We took the tour in January and found it just as Norm states. Contrary to Eileen's response, they take you direct to the "Golden Zone" in a cab (get the VW golf cart!) and you can shop at your leisure before and after the show. You make your way to the beach hotel and the buffet was decent (plus 2 drinks)- no upset stomach after! We found it worthwhile, as did the group we were with. Others may disagree.

richard

Post Edited (10-19-02 01:14)