Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Familiar Face

Default Mexican Riviera info, please.

I am interested in hearing from people who have cruised the Mexican Riviera. I am trying to decide whether to do a that cruise or a Caribbean one. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

I've done both and enjoyed both.

P.V. is one of my favorite places in the world to visit. I am not in love with Mazatlan, however. Cabo is okay but a little to "gringo" for me. i've not yet been to Ixtapa or Alcapulco, but would like to see both as well as Oaxaca.

The Western Carribean is very nice. I love Cozumel and the several nearby Mayan ruins are most interesting.

Im other words, it's a hard choice. Why not plan to do both, even if you have to do some long range planning. Perhaps you should look for a great deal and let that help guide your choice.
Old October 9th, 2002, 11:40 PM
JoyceC

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

We've done the Mexican Riveria 6 times and the Caribbean 5 times. We prefer the caribbean (Southern is the best, then Eastern.) The only reason we have been to Mexico more times is because we live in the L.A. area and didn't have to fly. I personally do not care for Mexico (every port is pretty much the same to me...it's just Mexico.
In the Caribbean every island is different and the beaches are the greatest (I won't even go into the water in Mexico). The MOST beautiful beach in the world is Trunk Bay in St John, VI.
Old October 11th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie
Default Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

I have done the Mexican Riviera 3x and the Caribbean 4x. I go to Mexico because the port is close so airfare is cheap and I love cruising. However, the Caribbean has better weather, beaches, shopping, everything. I like St. Thomas, St. John and St. Maarten the best especially the water. I have been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity if you have any other questions.
Old October 14th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

Sue, I echo every one of Chuck's thoughts about Mexico. It's always pleasant.

Harry (off to Cabo and La Paz Saturday on the Spirit!)
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

Thanks so much for the feedback! We booked a Jan.5th 10 day Sun Princess Mexican Riviera cruise because the deal was too good to refuse. I am SO looking forward to it. I had 2 major surgeries in Sept. and could really use that R&R!
Sue
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

You'll have a ball. Congratulations!

While in Puertp Vallarta, If your adventuresome, have a "pulpo" (octopus) burrito at "Mariscos Polo" for lunch. This little Mexican seafood restaurant is owned by a local family and is incredibly wonderful.

It's not fancy digs and it's very moderate in price, but they have great food, wonderful drinks and excellent service. When I go to P.V. I eat there at least three times in a seven night stay, more often for longer stays. All the food is great but the octopus burritos are unbelievable. Polo's seafood is always fresh that morning and he picks out the very best. trust me you won't be sorry.

In fact, an owner of a fairly famous Portland French restaurant recently went there on my advice. She ended up eating at Polo's for six different lunches and dinners because she liked it so much. This kind of response is typical of people who try it.
Old October 16th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Delores

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

I'm not sure where you sail from but the waters off L.A. & Mexico can be a bit rough; at least it was the times I've been down there. So be safe, & take your Bonine before you sail. I know you'll have a great cruise. Heard Sun Princess is very nice.
Old October 17th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Lene

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

Hi Delores. Were you there in early Jan? I figured the water will be rough. This may do me in for cruising.
Old October 17th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Familiar Face

Oh God, How rough do you mean? The last cruise I went on in the Gulf of Alaska, I wore that patch, which I will never do again. I put it on before the cruise because I tend to get queasy and I didnt want that to happen on my honeymoon (2nd marriage). The whole cruise it made me dizzy. I didnt know if it was the patch or just me or what? Our cabin was the last one in the very back which vibrated alot. And believe it or not, it took me 6 WEEKS to stop being dizzy when i got home. I am going to stick with the Bonine and pray I dont get too drowsy.
Sue
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please

Sue,
Try the Sea-Band next time. Worked for us with no side effects.
Our cruise to Mexico in Jan on the Sea Princess was fine. We were up in B224 and it was a rocky the day and evg. after we left Cabo. As you walked up the passageway to the cabin from the elevators you could see the sea rise and fall thru the outside door!Down on the Promenade was ok but our cabin was not. But the rest of the trip was pretty smooth.
Next trip on the Vision we are down on Deck 3 near the centre of the ship. It should be better. Try booking a lower and more central cabin.

richard
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, pl

Richard,
I am not sure which cabin I will be in. Its one of those where we have a confirmed balcony (the lowest catagory of balcony). Either on the Baja or Caribe. I think the sea band is a great idea. THANKS!
Sue
Old October 18th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

Sue,

I am interested in hearing from people who have cruised the Mexican Riviera. I am trying to decide whether to do a that cruise or a Caribbean one.

What are your interests?

If your basic interest is "R&R" in a warm desitnation or perhaps some shopping for interesting souvenirs and gifts that you can't find at home, the Mexican Riviera and the Caribbean are pretty comparable. If, OTOH, you have specific interests for sightseeing or recreation in your ports of call, you will need to check out the offerings of specific ports of call on each itinerary.

Basically, my preference is to look for a good deal on a longer itineriary with as many days at sea as possible. I noticed, in a subsequent post, that you have booked a ten-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera aboard MV Sun Princess -- which is a fantastic ship. In fact, I'm doing the same itinerary on the same ship next month.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:28 AM
PBP

Hi, Chuck. I'm going on the Star Princess in late January and have never been to the Mexican Riviera before. This restaurant sounds wonderful. Would you mind telling me where it is located? I don't know where the ships dock in P.V., but would it be within walking distance or would we need to take a taxi? Thanks much.
Old November 18th, 2002, 11:23 PM
bobscunba

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera info, please.

If you want warm water to swim and snorkle in, then do the western carribean, cozumel and stuff....if you want big water, cold and bigger sealife...do the pacific side. I like the carribean myself....the water is always just so much warmer and that really does make a difference for water fun........but, PV is a damned cool place!!! Cabo is fun too.
either way, you'll have fun.
bob