Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Default LA to Ensenada in March... any chance for rough seas?

Does anyone know what the chances are for a rough ride in March to Ensenada from Los Angeles?

And also, does taking sea sick medications such as dramamine, patches or bonine dampen the cruising experience at all?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2003, 08:50 AM
Kazba

Default Re: LA to Ensenada in March... any chance for rough seas?

I went to Ensenada in Feb a few years back and we did have rough seas. I, luckily, don't get sea sick. But one of the tricks they taught us on that cruise was to keep something in your stomach all the time. It helps prevent getting sick. That is why there is always plenty of food on cruises. Is sounds wierd, but it is true. I know dramamine can make you sleepy. I don't know about the other stuff. Also they keep the ship a little cooler to also stave off sickness.
Have a great time. We are off to the Mexican Riviera in March ourselves on a 10 day trip.
I hope that helped.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Admiral

It is such a short distance to Ensenada from L.A.. They can go very slowly and still make deadlines. Slower speed equals less rocking and rolloing, even in rough seas.
Rough seas are probably not a problem for you. Go have fun and don't worry.
Old January 26th, 2003, 05:17 PM
suzannen

Default Re: Re: LA to Ensenada in March... any chance for rough seas

I think you will have a great cruise...my very first cruise was on the Viking Serenade (aka the Bubble Boat from Royal Caribbean) from Los Angeles to "Baja, Mexico"... It was in the first week of March, notorious for rain in southern Calif. ..but the price was great and my girlfriend and I wanted to do it.....it rained the entire time....Not only did the ship "rock 'n roll" in high waves, it was really storming....lightning and thunder and everything....for four days it rained almost nonstop....Everyone told us not to bother getting off the ship in Ensenada but we wanted to go....we got off and lo and behold, the sun was peeking out and it was starting to warm up...we spent a fabulous day in Ensenada after making friends with a young woman who we met at local restaurant...she showed us all over town, took us to her mother's house for homemade enchiladas and then took us back to the ship ON TIME..(I still get Feliz Navidad cards from her and her family.)....We got to the ship and it started raining again.....we were having too much fun to care...we'd look out the windows at the storm and laugh and say "We came a thousand miles for this, so let's go get another drink!!!" ...It was one of the best cruises I ever took....okay, maybe that's because it was my first one, but still.....

The Viking Serenade was a funny looking ship...it was the oldest in the RCI fleet at the time.....it was very "boxy" looking because it had been converted to a cruiser from a car ferry. When RCI did the refit/refurb on it, they decided they had to have the Viking Crown lounge on top, just like all their ships....the end result was really funny looking: it looked like a big bubble on top, hence the name the Bubble Boat. But because it had been built originally as a car ferry, it actually handled the waves very well....Todays ships will handle the worst weather even better.....i don't think you will need the dramamine....they give it out for free if you do....just ask at the purser's.
I think you'll have a great time and if it's raining, you will look out the windows, with frozen thingies in hand, and laugh and say, "Oh, we never minded the little things...."
Old January 27th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruiseaddict

Hi
Eight Ozzies traveling on Visions on March 8 2003. I am going to take a Claritine Tablet each day. I was advised by a Chemist that this stops motion sickness - trust me it does. I also wear seasick bands on rough days plus for the flight from Oz to LA.

Hope this info is helpful. Happy cruising.