Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2003, 10:08 PM
dwaine

Default pv hiking tour-hot spring?

I will be on the elation on 3-16-2003 I am looking for info on the hiking tour. Has anyone done this? Is it any good? Hows the hot spring? Are there other tours you would recomend? thanks Dwaine
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

I highly suggest you take a bus to Boca de Tomatlin and then take a water taxi to Yalapa. It is a wonderful cove on the ocean that is very much like Gilligan's Island. There are no cars. A little hotel of little grass shacks has a wonderful pool made of boulders. You can use the pool if you buy a beer. This hotel has a great beach, fabulous food, and very few people.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 08:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

Chuck, That sounds really nice!! Where did you pick up the bus?
Was the water at the beach calm or rough? That pool sounded nice too , could you explain more about it?
One more question: How long does it take to get there??

CLWallag
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

The bus to Boca takes about 1/2 hour or less. It is a magnificent drive through the hills south of the city. This area is called Conces Chinas. There are many magnificent homes in the hills and mountains above the ocean below. The bus will cost about 2 oe 3 pesos. (20-30 cents)

When you get to Boca, walk down the hill a very short distance to the bay. The water taxis leave there about every 1/2 hour. The water taxi ride is about 20-30 minutes and is a beautiful journey alomg the coast. Yalapa is so beautiful. There is hiking there and the rustic swimming pool at the little grass shack hotel is incredible. This is a step back in time that you will never forget. The surf there is great for swimming as well. There are other water sports available there as well.

E-mail me or call me at 360 604-704 if you have more questions.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

I've been thinking about your question. In interest of time, I would walk from the ship to the main street which is about 100 yards or so. There I would get a yellow taxi (They are much much less expensive than the white ones by the ship.) and I would take this yellow taxi to Boca de Tematlin. Then I would take the water taxi from there.

The yellow taxi should cost less than 100 pesos or ten dollars. The bus, of course, is far less expensive. But If you are unfamiliar with the area, you may not want that much adventure. And as I said, the yellow taxi will save you some time,The buses in P.V. are excellent and very safe. They can look a little grubby,but they are also a nice way to see what P.V. is reallt all about.

You will see a lot along the way. The city, the famous church in the city center, Conces Chinas, Mismaloya, etc. You will have the advantage of a wonderful driving tour, a small boating adventure, and a day on a most exotic island, of sorts,
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

I checked my spelling. It is actually Boca de Tomatlin. Sorry for my errors.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

Yet another spelling check, It is Yelapa.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused you.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

Chuck,
Thanks alot for all the info.!! Going to Yelpa sounds like a fun thing to do!
I'll have to talk it over with my husband and the other couple were traveling with.
Have you ever been to Las Caletas? If so, which one do you think is nicer? Which one has the calmest waters for swimming?
Don't worry about the spelling thing, I make many mistakes of my own!!!
Thanks again
CLW
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

Las Caletas is supposed to be very nice. The downside there is the numbers of people going from the cruise ship. I've heard it gets really crowded on "cruise ship days." I'm not much for tours, if there is something I can do on my own. In either case I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. the surf is moderate in most locations of the bay. Swimming is not a problem.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
dwaine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot spring?

I live in the phx area and have never seen a jungle or been to a good place to snorkel. I was hoping to hike in the jungle, with a guide maybe or to a waterfall. Is mismaloya and los arcos and good? I see they rent snorkel gear there? is there jungle near buy? thanks for the help sorry for the long come back Dwaine
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot sprin

The snorkeling in P.V or any part of the Mexican Riveria is not that good. The places that were supposed to be pretty good for snorkeling may have been altered by the hurricane that went through last Nov.
Three years ago I took a snorkeling tour to Los Arcos. The seas were rough that day so they took us somewhere else to snorkel. We all went in except my sister-in-law (she was the smart one) Not only was the water rough and cold, the water was so cloudy you could'n't see more than a few inches in front of you! Needless to say we didn't see any fish!
There was an open bar on the way back to the pier, so we ended up having a good time anyway( The crew on the boat new how to throw a good party).
I Don't want to discourage you, but like I said Mexico is not really a good snorkeling destination. Now the Caribbean<That's Another Story (Lots of good snorkeling spots).
Well Good Luck! Hopefully someone else will know of a pretty good snorkeling spot that I may have missed. What ever you end up doing, Have Fun!
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pv hiking tour-hot s

There are jungle tours by jeep that many people enjoy. You might want to do that. The jungles are at their best in the hot, muggy and rainy season. That is a trade-off most people don't want to make. The jungles don't green-up until it starts raining heavily.