Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2003, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Default excursions.. Mexican Riviera

We are planning a group cruise. We need some info. We need to know about some of the excursions... Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerta Vallarta. Ship excursions or on our own. Any help please!!??Thanks ahead of time..... Char
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Frank Black

Default Re: excursions.. Mexican Riviera

We just got back from the Star Princess. I have been to those ports many times. We hired local taxis and took tours on our own. As an example, we took an air conditioned van with 7 people for $18 a person for a 3 plus hour tour in Mazatlan. We saw may sights and had a good time. In PV we again hired a taxi. We ttok a more private car and paid $20 a person. In cabo, we spent $12 a person to take the 45 minute lands end glass bottom boat. Then had a nice lunch in town. For me, I like a more private van with less people. If you want more sports oriented tours, book through the ship.
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: excursions.. Mexican Riviera

We just returned from the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Star Princess. We have done this itinerary before and have also done many land vacations in Puerto Vallarta, some where we stayed there for as long as a month.

There is so much to see and do in P.V. It really isn't fair to see this city by cruise ship.
I think you must decide just what you wish to do. If you want a resort experience, shopping and sightseeing, an adventure experience, etc. After you narrow it down, then you can choose from many options.

If you want a resort experience, most of the better hotels will let you use their facilities at very nominal charges. (Sometimes it is free.)

The city itself is beautiful. I would be sure to spend some time on the Malecon, by the Cuale, in the Zona Romantica, and at Los Muertos Beach. In these areas there is very good shopping, fine restaurants, and fairly nice beaches where you can relax under a palapa.

If you want an adventure, I would visit Yelapa by water taxi or Sayulita by private taxi. Both of these beaches are very rural, rustic, and wonderdful. You will never forget a wonderful day at either of these amazingly tropical beaches.

In Mazatlan we took the Sierra Colonial Villages tour and enjoyed it greatly. (We are NOT fond of Mazatlan, itself. We don't usually take tours but this seemed our best option.

In Cabo, we took the $12 water taxi/ "glass bottom boat" tour and then poked around town. It was a fun day, considering the limited time and the extra time needed for tender service at this port.

I know a lot about P.V. and much less about the other two ports. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail (palmc@attbi.com) or call (360) 604-7041.