Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:30 AM
mcmanck

Default Snorkeling in Cozumel

My husband and I are going on a cruise at the end of the month and one of our stops is Cozumel. We would like to go snorkeling, but have been previously disappointed with the price/value of the cruise excursions. Does anyone know of a good place to snorkel that we could take a taxi to, maybe somewhere with a beach? Would also need to rent equipment.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:20 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Snorkeling in Cozumel

For sure: Chankanaab Park. It's only a few min. from the port area by taxi. I believe the cost is $l0 to get in, and the taxi's aren't much. There are signs posted outside the port area, sitting in the st. where the taxi's line up, listing fares. There is a beach, though generally some coral right at water's edge and a "lip" which makes it necessary to walk down some little steps into the most popular snorkeling area. This area CAN get a bit crowded on cruise ship days. But there is lots of area. Keep walking! There are LOTS of fish under the water there, and you can rent snorkeling equip. on the beach. ($4 to $6 in my experience. Sometimes some of the stands will barter; sometimes not.) There are restaurants w/pretty good (and safe) food under shade and snacks (drinks and ice cream, etc.) and showers available, and even some type of dolphin encounter (we didn't do this or see the dolphin show). We only went to snorkel and tan. We had snorkeled other locations in the Cozumel area by catamaran and I have to say, we saw more at Chankanaab than any other place. They also offer these little dive tours. They teach you how to use scuba equip. and someone goes w/you. My husband did it for $50 and it was GREAT! They took him by this cave like coral area and now he is going to get certified. Hope this helps.
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Snorkeling in Cozumel

My favorite snorkeling spot is at Dzul Ha. It's on the way to Chankannab so maybe you could take a taxi there and snorkel a while (before all the snorkel boats get there) and then take a taxi to Chankanaab for the rest of the day.