Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why Mazatlan

Mazatlan seems to get low marks as a port of call on cruise sites. Many people state that they stay on board their ship and do not even disembark. My first experience with Mazatlan will be this mid-October. Is this port that unattractive? It does appear that the beach vendors and junk peddlers are a bit overbearing. This seems to be supported by travel handbooks and travel articles as well. If all this is true, why not take Mazatlan off the tour itinerary and substitue another port? Wouldn't this benefit both the cruiselines and the passengers? Or, am I hearing just from one side on experiences related to the area?
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why Mazatlan

Take the colonial villages tour. It gets you out of town and is quite enjoyable.
Old September 28th, 2003, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

We didn't do any shopping in town or anything when we were in Mazatlan so I can't really say but we did book with Randi's Happy Horses and went riding. Randi was great, we had a nice lunch on the beach and had a really wonderful afternoon.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I second what Chuck said -- great tour and got us out of town. Mazatlan is our least favorite place to walk around town.

Harry
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Why Mazatlan

I was going to reserve this excursion and then I noticed two different tours that both list the colonial villages as a destination. One is approximately 5 1/2 hrs long, the other 7hrs. Which one is the recommended one?
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:39 PM
Admiral

The one we took was about 51/2 hours and was plenty long. We got back to the ship in time for a short rest and a couple of chapters in a good novel out on deck, by the pool, before cocktail hour.
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:06 AM
First Mate

Mel, are you just finding this info out on the Carnival Shore Excursions page? Maybe I need to look a little closer but I didn't see any horse tours or colonial tours. Is there someone else we can get a more detailed list of what's available?
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Sun, very little details on the Carnival sight for our ports, but some info on teh Mexican Riviera ones.

Harry
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Why Mazatlan

Sorry to say, my tour information is for the Princess line. Not sure about Carnival.
Old October 24th, 2003, 06:31 PM
911Marci

Mazatlan to me is more of a fishing type town,kind of like Ensenada but the market towards downtown is lots of fun to browse through.....also go to the Shrimp Bucket and have lunch there, it is owned by the same people who own Senor Frogs, but it is nice and quiet, not such a zoo! The bacon/cheese stuffed Shrimp are very good!

You can get some very good deals on silver jewelry there, if you go along the main boulevard, and they are some nice gifts and fashions.

We even rented a jeep there and took off on our own, it was very enjoyable.....we ended our day at Senor Frogs, with some huge margaritas.......and great memories. Don't be afraid to branch out and not take a tour.

Smooth sailing,
Marci-911 Chick
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DltaSig98

I took a Sierra Madre Tour. It went to Concordia and Copalla. Had a fantastic time. The actual port area is not very eye appealing, but up in the mountains was beautiful. I had a great time that port day, well on all three, but I highly sugest this tour. (Carnival Elation Sept. 2003) Email me if you have any questions.

Karen
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:12 PM
jfd

Default : Re: Why Mazatlan

try stone island, surf the net, there's stuff to do, also go to cruisecritic.com and read their boards
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:02 AM
First Mate

The Stone Island tour was fun. We did a 25min horseback ride. They served us lunch and they had a full open bar. All included in your tour price. If you want to add on anything once you reach the island it is only $5.00. Which we did, we had fun riding the banana boat.
Enjoy your cruise!
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:14 PM
JLP20

Been there twice by ship.

First time we did the Deer Island trip, would not recomended it unless you have nothing else to do (including taking a nap).

The second time, we took a taxi to the "Golden Zone" to walk around. Never again. We could have stayed in Los Angeles and walked around downtown. I know because of rains, the streets were fairly clean, but because of all the concrete, the place just looks dirty. . Since it's about a 20 minute ride from the ship to downtown, you don't want to waste the time and money you invested in the side trip. I say this since I wanted to tell the taxi driver to take us back to the ship once we arrived downtown. Anyway, what I WANT to try is the sea food resturant right by the ship. The first time we were to tired to go anywhere and the second time we were to stressed out from our walk to deal with people in general.
Old November 5th, 2003, 02:56 PM
MichelleM

We went on the Sierra Madre tour and I didn't care for it much, but it was just too hot to enjoy it in late Sept. Part of our tour was a shopping stop in the Golden Zone and it didn't impress us too much either but we aren't really shoppers.

Check out www.mazinfo.com for more things to do in Mazatlan. There is a section for cruiseship visitors and links to various independent vendors. Even a link to Randi's Happy Horses I think.
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Frank

I am so sorry to hear all the sad things they mention about my city. This is funny because in my 20 years of tour guiding, I have heard so few bad things about Mazatlan. Actually the people I take on the tours tend to come back and even move down here as they retire. Mazatlan is becoming a favorite destination for retired Americans and Canadians. So what is wrong? People are so friendly down here, the city is beautiful, but everybody has the right to think as they want. By the way the Sierra Madre tour is 7 hours and the Colonial is 5 1/2, both similar but not the same. FELIZ NAVIDAD FROM MAZATLAN

Frank

fkole2000@hotmail.com
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Gizmo

I would not say Senor Frogs in Mazatlan is a Zoo. We went and had a very nice time. The air conditioning felt great. The tables all had white linen tables clothes on them in the dining room which was very, very nice. It was not what I though it would be, thank heavens!
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Gizmo

I don't know why Mazatlan would get low marks. I thought it was a great port. Mr.Gizmo voted it as his favorite on our 10 day Mex Riviera cruise I would go back to this port in a heartbeat!.

As far as beach peddlers and vendors go , THEY ARE EVERYWHERE, NOT JUST MEXICO. You just have to deal with it.