Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Default scooters in cozumel

Anyone have any experience with renting scooters in Cozumel ? I keep hearing horror stories about them being dangerous and how bad the road conditions are. Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:30 PM
kittyg

Default Re: scooters in cozumel

We rented some a few years ago--it wasn't terrible--but there are more scooters in cozumel than cars--and most everyone does not know where they are going---so------be careful--we got lost and got into a bad neighborhood, plus it wasn't great on my new marriage vows---I almost killed him for his bad driving skills----------------------------good luck though !!!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Passenger

All I can say is DON'T DO IT!!! The mopeds aren't in that great of shape to begin with and with so many cars now in Cozumel it isn't safe. Also, if you are planning a trip to the other side you will be having to manuver some bad terrain with taxis and other high speed cars trying to pass you. It's really not worth it. If you plan to stay in town, the taxi rates are low enough and more convenient (don't have to find parking)
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:41 PM
Passenger

PS..l found a great 1 day rental special with AVIS offered on www.cozumelinsider.com they also offer (not so new) cars pretty cheap with Less pay.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Thanks.....decided to go shopping in the morning and take a cab to a beach in the afternoon
Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM
LuvCruising

We rented scooters last week in Cozumel for $20.00 a day and had an absolute blast. We went around the entire perimeter of the island and it turned out to be the highlight of out trip. It is great because on the east side of the island there are alot of places to stop on your scooters and get some absolutley breath taking photo shots. We did not feel unsafe at any point in the day and it is probably the best deal on the island. Any questions feel free to email me.
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:34 PM
kittyg

I wouldn't rent anything to drive myself in Cozumel---a couple of weeks ago was our fifth time to go-----we got a taxi and I prayed to the Good Lord if he got us down town with out killing anyone--I would be a very good girl---I have never been that close to death or cars before in my life. Also, a newlewed couple who sat at the dining table next to us---rented a jeep--the pulled out at the pier and hit a car----the police detained them for 10hrs and the boat left with out them--they had to take a bus to playa del and fly to Belize to meet us the next dy---not a good start to a marriage-----again-------find a calm looking taxi cab driver , at best
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Cyndee

I wouldn't rent a moped either -- too much danger. There are NO SAFE TAXI's in Cozumel. They act like they are running a race everytime you ride in one. We saw an entire family on a moped -- mother, father, two small children. Amazing!
Old November 29th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Kate Ricciardi

Default Re: Re: scooters in cozumel

The scooters are very dangerous in the hands of people who have not driven a small wheeled vehicle in years if ever. These 35 mph vehicles are in direct competition with the 100mph taxis. Hit some sand, pull the brakes, hello palm tree. Even if you just drop it it will be very expensive. More fun is a safe ride around the island with a knowledgeable and safe driving local such as is available through cozumelcharters@hotmail.com. They will pick you up, do the island and show you the best and most interesting parts of Cozumel cheaper than the ship tours or taxis. They also arranged fishing charters for my folks and glass bottom boat snorkel adventure for my inlaws and kids. Great service and always happy to answer questions.
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Lonnie

Default Re: Re: Re: scooters in cozumel

My wife and I rented a mo-ped last Feb. We put over 60 miles on it. We had a blast.

Yes it is dangerous. A taxi about took us out. I tend to be a risk taker, so I didn't get to worked up about it. I also have ridden motorcycles for years. I would not recomend it to an in-experienced rider.

When you get off the ship, there are multitudes of taxi's to take you anywhere you may want to go.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Passenger

I did it in Nassau a few yrs. ago. ill never do it again. I had a blast, but 2 weeks ago I was on the Mariner and these 2 girls rented scooters and ended up getting in an accident. ALL scraped up, spent 3,000 in the hospital, paid 300 for the scooter, and the rental place refused to give them their license back. So all in all Ive learned from others