Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Breezy

Default What to do in Mazatlan

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go in Mazatlan? We're sailing on the Carnival Pride in early March 2004, and we don't know what we're going to do in Mazatlan. We'd like to go snorkeling. Any suggestions on where to go? Has anyone snorkeled on Deer Island?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What to do in Mazatlan

We have done the 'Stone Island 'tour in Mazatlan. That was fun. Haven't heard of any snokeling but we have taken a taxi to the golden zone and arranged to have a catamaran take us to deer island and leave us there for a few hrs. There is a guy that sells sodas and beer on the island. Just remember to tell the guy with the catamaran that you will pay him the other 1/2 when he picks you up.
Have a great cruise!
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:42 PM
Hollyhawk

If you have never been to Mexco and want to experience the culture, take one of the city tours. If you have been there and can speak spanish, get on the bus. We took our kids on the Sone Island tour when they were 7 & 5; they had a blast. You take a little boat ride around a big rock called Bird S---t Island and then go to a ranch where you can ride horeses banana boat, they have lunch for you and it was good. We have also been to Deer Island, not anything there unless you are looking to get away from the city while looking back at it. There is no good snorkling . Donot be affraid to eat local food. We have been there many times and have never gotten Montezumas, have always found the locals helpful, friendly and imformative. There are alot of independant vendors around who speak a moderate amount of english, my advice is to tell them you are in a hotel and will see them manana, as they can be very persistant.
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:54 PM
Breezy

Thanks for all of the great advice. I lived in P.V. for two summers, and I'm looking forward to visiting Mexico again. Now only if I could find the best taco stand in Mazatlan... Those are difficult to find sometimes. Or else a place where I can watch the waves and drink a great margarita!
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Passenger

I don't know if they are the best tacos in Maz but the stand in the middle of the outdoor shopping area just after you get off the tram from the ship to the quay are tasty. The tacos and beer were good, tables to sit, and music. Sort of busy with all the shopping going on but still a lot of fun.
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:46 PM
First Mate

We have always gone to Pacos in Mazatlan. If you go to the golden zone and across the street from the shell store in an out door shopping area. At the end of that area is Pacos, right on the beach. Great for food and drinks.
Enjoy your cruise!
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:53 PM
MichelleM

We went on the Sierra Madre tour and I wouldn't suggest doing that. There isn't really much for snorkeling in Maz, save that for Cabo San Lucas where the water isn't brown.

Check out www.mazinfo.com they have a section for cruiseship guests. There is a link to Randi's Happy Horses. She is very popular in Mazatlan.
Old November 16th, 2003, 06:09 PM
jfd

Default Re: Re: What to do in Mazatlan

don't think theres great snorkeling in Mazatlan, Cabo is another story. We went to Stone Island which we liked but not for snorkeling.
Old November 24th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Terry Willson

Default Re: Re: What to do in Mazatlan

I second the suggestion of Randi's happy horses. It was a blast.
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Jodie

Love Mazatlan - for tacos, try the Marlin tacos at Gus Gus in the Golden Zone across from the Inn at Mazatlan Cheap and there's a ton ! The post above mentions Pacos, it's actually Pancho's and it is great food right on the beach with some good shops on the way. For shrimp, nothing is better than the coconut shrimp at the Shrimp Factory ! And for a good bucket of beer and a game of volleyball , hit Joe's Oyster Bar on the beach.... kinda hard to find but a fun place ! For siteseeing, hit the Mercado in town. It's a huge market with everything from cheesy souveniers to fresh made tortillas. As for the local people, we have always found them to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. Most speak great english and are always willing to help !
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:47 PM
Passenger

hi we were is mazatlan 4 years ago and well that is not my first mexican choice but anyway we hired a driver named romero he has a nice big suburban and he took us on the outskirts of mexico went to the tquilla factory and to a beautiful resort in the middle of nowwhere in the hills it cost us 125.00 for 6 of us including beer and lunch at an ugly old bright blue truck stop in the middle of a dirt road very good food and very clean happy people 6 of us ate for 7.00$ canadian dollars you wont be snorkelling the water is dirty and cold go to the market now thats a trip to hollywood youll get to see all kinds of stuff from headless goats to big mexican police with machine guns take a ride in a panoma a little golf cart
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Frank

Hola amigos
In Mazatlan there are many nice things apart from what these other friends are talking about. I have seen many worst cities around the world. Sometimes people have a bad experience and think the whole city is the same. I have been alicensed tour guide in Mazatlan and I am proud of my city and people. Sometimes you go wrong when you take a person that does not know much about Mazatlan. That is why I am licensed. Us tour guides, have to go to school 160 hours per year to get and to renovate our licenses. Just a bit of information. If anyone has any questions about Mazatlan or would like to take a private tour with me please contact me. FELIZ NAVIDAD

Frank

fkole2000@hotmail.com