Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2003, 04:42 PM
mlbcray

Default Shore Excursions Mexican Riveria

When you arrive in port can you book your tour at the dock with people other than the cruise line? First time cruiser and have never done this before. It sounds like from all the postings that their are people waiting for passangers to get off the ship and then book with them.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Shore Excursions Mexican Riveria

You can book almost all at the pier/terminal. I would be more likely to do this on your second cruise to these ports, and do ship excursions the first time. You save some, but I think as a first-timer, etc, you will be a lot more relaxed about tthings.

Harry
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:24 PM
mlbcray

Default Re: Re: Shore Excursions Mexican Riveria

Thanks for the info Harry, I think I will just do it on the ship.

Mike
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Your welcome ... the easiest "do it yourself" port is Cabo. You can take the glass bottom boat ride on the pier for $12 and just walk around town (it's a very short walk into the center of town). Also, many lines make this only a half-day stop, so you can just do it wham-bam.

Be sure and book a tour in Mazatlan. We did half a day on our own and then did a tour later, and I wish we would have just done the tour. You need a cab to get anywhere.

Harry
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM
Yeoman

Thx for the tip Harry. We'll be there in Feb on the Mercury. Isn't this the port with the most aggressive peddlers too?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
Admiral

No I wouldn't say that -- several older Indian women. Downtown Mazatlan was in my opinion more aggressive, plus it's a lot more crowded.

Harry
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Linda Burnett

I'll be on the Statendam - Holland America Line - in the Mexican Riviera in mid-January, and was wondering precisely that: which ports are easy to get around in, and don't demand some sort of tour. You answered the question for both Cabo and Mazatlan. Thank you!

Linda in Oakland
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Linda, Puerto Vallarta is an easy walk-around town. You just take the shuttle van to downtown, and it drops you right by the cathedral -- from there you can see all the big spots downtown (Malecon, Rio Cuale, etc). I used a Fodors travel guide for a walking tour and had no problem at all.

The shuttle is $2 or $3 person, and the cab ride back should be about $4-$5.

Harry
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Frank

Hola amigos:

I am a tour guide in mazatlan, licensed for 20 years and I do my own tours in an air conditioned van. Would you be interested in a tour as your here? The tour I do is a make your own tour thing. I give you the choices and you select where you want to go. I try to do the best I can because if you are happy, I get more business because the word by mouth is my best publicity. Hope you decide the right thing and contact me amigos!
FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Frank
fkole2000@hotmail.com
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Gizmo

Zihuatanejo was very easy to get around. It is a quaint village. It is a tender port and you get dropped off right in town. You do not need any transportation like some of the other ports.

There are some very nice shops along with a street or two of the normal flea market stands. I also saw some very nice places for a drink and lunch. A small old church in the flea market area was niced to see.

HAL does not offer much in excursions so many think there is nothing at this port and not worth the effert to take the tender. Wrong!!!! Get off the ship and see this village.
I only wished the time we were in port was longer.

In Acapulco get a tour. You do not need to take a ship tour. There are lots of taxis available when you leave the ship. Most will take you to the same places as the ship tour, like the Princess hotel and lots of nice views and also the cliff divers.

In Mazatlan, see if you can make a stop at the cathederal. It is beautiful!!!
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Lonnie Gleitz

My wife and I are taking a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Mercury. We leave San Diego the 20th of Feb, 2004. We would be very interested in booking a tour with you. Please contact me.
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Lonnie Gleitz

Default Re: Re: Re: Shore Excursions Mexican Riveria

Frank,

I have sent you e-mail. Sorry to the rest of you for having to read my reply to Frank. I thought it was being sent to him personally.