Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM
jq

Default Cabo Whalewatching Tours

Does anyone have info in specific whalewatching tours and operators in Cabo? We are trying to find out if there are several and if there are one or two that there is consensus on who gives the best tour for the best price? Such as on the Alaska board which I am more familiar with. Leaving on the 2/8 Pride and need to see if we should book ahead of time or wait until we get there or use ships excursion? Thanks for help.
Any other favorite things to do there? besides snorkeling, fishing, or hanging out at one of the big resorts?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Cabo Whalewatching Tours

JQ, Shar Backman just posted information on the whale watching under our second Cruisemates sailing on the Pride. Just go to "People", then "Cruisemates" and see the top post about the last-minute cruise planning for the sailing. It's toward the end.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

JQ, she's whale watching PV, but I cut and pasted the info for you:

Whale Watching in PV: Did any of you decide to check on the tour with Capt Pete? It goes from 9am to 4:30pm and includes open bar, snacks, and lunch for only $56 (if you say you are part of my group). We went last year and it was really great. The Dos Ninos is a beautiful sailboat and just sings when they hoist the sails. During the whale watching portion, the boat captain only uses the motor.

Here's his info:

You can forward my web address ( www.travelvallarta.com ) to your friends or have them call me at my toll free phone number below.

Se yall soon
Capt. Pete

Fishing/Sailing Unlimited
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Toll Free Phone:1- 877-301-2058
Toll Free Phone: 1-877-301-2731
Local Phone Vallarta: 22-10920
Local Phone Vallarta: 20-90005
United States Office 1-281-914-4153

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM
SharB

Hi JQ!

Here's the URL for the Cabo whale watching tour we're planning on using. When I called, the woman I talked to said to "just go to the boat and check in". She didn't believe we'd need to pay in advance. You might want to call and confirm that for you're day in Cabo.

http://www.pirateshipcabo.com/Pirateship_Tours.html

We can't give you a critique, since we're coming back on the Pride on the day you're boarding. Good Luck!

Shar
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:59 AM
SharB

Just wanted to add a post. The Pirate ship, Sunderland - in Cabo. Is fantastic! Check out their internet site for a price break. We got a great deal and it ended up being the highlight of our cruise on the Pride!

Shar
Old February 16th, 2004, 07:42 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: Cabo Whalewatching Tours

Just back from Pride yesterday, and our whalewatching thru ship was great, though probably overpriced. We did see the pirate ships there whalewatching and also in one of the other ports. There were tons of small boats out there and available as well as one or two other larger boats. The nice part is we just went a short ways out of the dock, no long commute to get there.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Did you get your tickets in advance? I called and they would not sell me any unless I got $400 worth.

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:46 PM
SharB

ajl:
Which tour are you referring to?

Shar
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Passenger

The Pirate ship, Sunderland - in Cabo
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:27 PM
SharB

That's very strange. When I called them (before our cruise) - the woman I talked to said to "just show up and buy the tickets there" reservations wouldn't be necessary.

I just got off the phone with Marsa and she said that you're welcome to call her if you're confused. It sounds like you were asking for the Sunset cruise, maybe? The $400 wouldn't apply to a group going on a regular tour.

Their normally scheduled cruises are now bookable through most cruise ships and you might want to check on that to confirm a place.

I didn't see it offered off the Pride and we were the only ones from the ship on it for our tour.

If it's NOT offered on the ship, she said you wouldn't have a problem getting on it without a reservation.

I hope this helps.

Shar
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the reply -

After reading the info on the website - I thought I needed to reserve on the web to get better pricing. I will just plan on going over first thing.

What is the best way to get there?
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM
SharB

ajl:
When you go to the ticket kiosk (next to the Sunderland), tell the person that you saw their add on the web and ask if you can get the internet discount. The lady that was selling the tickets was very happy to offer the discount.

Best bet is to take the water taxi (unless you have problems getting in and out of a little boat that's rocking quite a bit) - we were charged $3 per person (unfair, but we were in a hurry). On the way back, we paid $2 each. Your option would be to take a real taxi. What ever you do, ask for the taxi price first. Another thing, don't get scammed by the people who are willing to go and get the tickets for you. They'll just run with your money.

When we came back to the main tender dock in the water taxi, a "nice" kid offered to help us get out of the boat. We took him up on it, since it was real hard to step out. He then asked us for a tip - we just kept walking.

Shar
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all your info - but this morning I get the following email -

Hi Allan,

Thank you for choosing Pirate Ship Cruises of Cabo.

I regret to inform you that on the 19th of March we are close to the public.

We are open though on the 20th of March which is the next day. Please let me
know if this day is good for you so that I can confirm your reservation.

I look forward for your reply,

Yolanda Vega
Pirate Ship Cruises of Cabo

I am just glad that I found out now and not at the last port of call!

My daughter would have killd me. She is 20 and taking marine biology classes and is really looking forward to this cruise.

Anybody have any other whale watching ideas?
I am looking into something in PV. Is the chances of seeing whales better or worse there?
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM
SharB

Allan,
Ummm...I guess I didn't catch that you were looking for whale watching tours vs sailing. They usually end before March. Hate to say it, but you might be stuck with whatever is offered on the cruiseship. :o(

Shar
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:18 PM
jq

We were on the Pride the 2nd week of Feb and took the ship's whalewatching tour in Cabo. We were on the CaboRey which is the nicest large boat docked there and had great luck for 2 1/2 hours. We saw at least four humpback whales including baby, and several dophins and mantareys. Got some great pictures. I don't know how long the whales stay. It sounded as if the pirate ship is closed on the 19th for a special party or holiday since they are available on the 20th which doesn't help you. You should be able to find out how long whales are there.
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Cabo Whalewatching Tours

I took Harry's advise and booked with Capt Pete in PV.

I am taking the whole boat and going to have a great time.