Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel -- Dolphin Encounter

We're sailing on the Elation 3/7 -- our day in Cozumel is Wednesday 3/10. From the Dolphin Discovery site, it seems that they don't offer the Dolphin Encounter on Wednesdays. My son is 7, hence that is the only dolphin swim thing he can go on. We both really wanted to do this. Does anyone know if this is true or not -- do we have to book through the ship? Or is there another group that also does the dolphin encounter tours??

deb c.
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:58 AM
ElationismyShip

Default Re: Cozumel -- Dolphin Encounter

Call their 1.800.417.1736 - this is the same company this ship will book you through but it's less expensive to book yourself. Give them a call, they were so helpful and have package deals that don't appear on the website. I've just booked them for 4/7/04 when we are in Cozumel and that is a Wednesday and we had no problems what so ever - taking our 8 year old.

The ship only offers the encounter which is where you pet the dolphin and it kisses you - if you do the Royal Swim you actually swim with the dolphins, they drag you with their fins, etc. Really neat, did the encounter last time, which we would have done more so here's my chance in April. We are doing the Swim with Sea Lions too.

Good luck.
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was interested in doing a swim with the dolphins sort of thing too, as I really love nature, animals, the sea (I'm a scuba diver)...but then I got thinking about it, and thought maybe you might want to think about it too. It's just totally different when I think of swimming with captive dolphins, captured in Cuba and sold for this purpose. Feels kind of like slavery to me.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...olphins05.html
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:15 PM
elationismyship

I've done the Dolphin thing before, I was concerned as well but this is a National Park and the trainers are just people they pull off the beach, etc. It's a entire Marinee park and they take super good care of the animals and you can tell the trainers and dolphins love one another. The Dolphins are playful and look extremely healthy. They even joke around the the trainers, etc. - not a trained thing. Looks very positive and healthy.
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Re: Cozumel -- Dolphin Encounter

Great, thanks for making me feel better about that - in other places, that's not the case, apparently.

May I ask - can you just walk up & do the encounters, or do you have to reserve ahead of time? And what's the youngest appropriate age, do you think, for a kid to do this?

Thanks!
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:17 PM
elationismyship

I've booked ahead of time because I want my choice of times, etc. www.dolphindiscovery.com or call their 800 number from the site. We have an 8 year old and she is doing the royal swim, which is more than the encounter where they dolphins swim by you and you pet them and they kiss you - I've seen kids as young as 2 on the encounter - I think you have to be at least 8 to do the royal swim - this is where you actually get pulled around by the dolphins, etc. It's really a top notch type of place (like something you'd see here in the states that is regulated and the animals look very healthy).
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:15 AM
brenda gonyeau

Default Re: Re: Cozumel -- Dolphin Encounter

I will also be planning a trip to the dolpin discovery in Cozumel. My 14 year old son thinks that the sea lions would be alot of fun. What did you think of them?
Would you recommend the Royal Swim or the Snorkel and swim package for a 10 year old girl who would rather spend her time with the dolpins?
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:17 PM
elationismyship

We're doing both - Royal Swim with Dolphins and swim with the Sea Lions - they offer a package that includes both swims and entrance to the park for $165 a person - so basically it was only like an extra $35 to do both swims versus just the Royal swim. They have packages that are not listed on their website and if you just ask they will tell you them all. Oh, the $165 package also includes the Sea Lion Show - but after the swim with them I'm sure the show is just eye candy :-)