Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Joleen

Default Cozumel Snuba Excursion

It was with trepidation that we started on our adventure aborad the Zorro. Although I had snorkeled before, the idea of going much deeper was starting to sound a bit scary.

I had nothing to worry about. From the first moment as they helped me on to the catamaran, I knew I was in good hands. The crew made each person feel comfortable and welcome. Without question, I have never felt more sate or well taken care of. To make things even more enjoyable, there were snack and drinks of your choice. Every single crew member was friendly, open and easy going.

After detailed instructions and assurances, it was time to Snuba dive! This was the first time I had ever gotten in the water with weights on and my initial reaction was just short of panic. My snuba guide Gary patiently encouraged me, but never pushed me to do anything I wasn't comfortable with. At first, I decided I couldn't do it. There was no judgement - just an affirmation that whatever I decided was okay. However, Gary didn't ingnore me since I didn't do the initial dive with everyone else. He kept coming back to where I was snorkeling and asking if I wanted to try it. After watching my fellow divers becoming more comfortable in the water, I definitely wanted to try it! Bless his heart, Gary put my weight belt back on me while we were in the water. A feat I imagine is not the easiest under the best of circumstances, but a bit more challenging on a larger woman such as myself. Gary held my hand and was with me as we descended. He didn't leave my side until he was sure I was comfortable. It didn't take long! Having been completely prepared for what to expect from the mask and the mouthpiece, being 20 feet under felt natural in no time at all. And what you can see snorkeling from the surface doesn't even begin to compare to what you can see when you are down next to the coral reef!

Back on the boat, we were free to just relax and enjoy the sun, snorkel at other stops along the way or do whatever we felt like. Always, the crew treated us incredibly well. Not to mention the good senses of humor they all had. After the dive, Gary congratulated each person on his or her success. This, too, was another personal touch that added to the experience.

I strongly recommend snuba diving with Mayan Paradise Tours. You will find, like me that it is the best thing you do on your vacation.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Jecca

Default Re: Cozumel Snuba Excursion

Joleen--

I've been wanting to try this and it's so nice to hear from someone who has actually done it! Did you book directly with the Tour Company, or through the ship? And if you booked with the Tour Company, can you provide that information? How long was the tour? How many people were participating? Any additional info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jecca
Celebration 2/28
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:49 PM
kala

Default Re: Re: Cozumel Snuba Excursion

aventurasnaturalascozumel.com

They do SNUBA TOO....I recommend this company highly!!!

I went on an snorkeling excursion last week in Cozumel thru shoretrips.com. They actually turned around and had booked us with the above guide.

They were wonderful. Had I known, I could have booked directly with them and saved $16 each on adults and saved $15.00 each of my kids. They even dropped us off at the pier when we were done!!!

Cut out the middle man. I highly recommend this guide service. They do all kinds of trips. They even offer SNUBA...email them for details..

They were a very family oriented excursion.

Kala
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cozumel Snuba Excursion

I'm a larger woman too, and also a bit claustrophobic. Do you think I would be comfortable doing this? I have wanted to but never had the nerve.
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
lomayalo

Default Re: Re: Cozumel Snuba Excursion

Why not give it a try? Gary and Ivan are the guides with Mayan Paradise. As the post above says, they are very patient and encouraging. And, if you end up not being comfortable with the snuba, you'll still have the opportunity to snorkel at some incredible reefs and spend a few hours on a very fun catamaran! I couldn't do it the first time I tried it - I just didn't feel comfortable. But Gary offered me the opportunity to try again, and I loved it! I don't know what the difference was - mindset maybe. Since then I've been back at least a dozen times. It's really, really beautiful and a whole lot of fun.